RE: [mythsoc] Stardust by Neil Gaiman

  • Fisher, Matt
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
      Joan,

      > I read Stardust while I was in San Diego. I understand that this title
      > won a Mythopoeic Fantasy award. What I don't understand is
      > how it won a
      > Mythopoeic Fantasy Award. I found the novel flat, uninspiring, and not
      > particularly well written.
      >
      > Were the other nominees that year really that bad?

      Looking over the list of finalists from that year (I was on the committee), my recollection is that I found several of the titles just as weak (in different ways)...particularly the Klein and Stoddard.

      My personal top choice that year was the McKillip (if my memory is correct), but I honestly don't remember where I placed Stardust.

      Matt Fisher
    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
        Joan Marie Verba [verba001@...] wrote:
        > I read Stardust while I was in San Diego. I understand that this title
        > won a Mythopoeic Fantasy award. What I don't understand is how it won a
        > Mythopoeic Fantasy Award. I found the novel flat, uninspiring, and not
        > particularly well written.
        >
        > Were the other nominees that year really that bad?

        While not Gaiman's best work, I've always enjoyed reading it. I don't find it
        flat or uninspiring at all. It's what it purports to be: a fairy tale. To
        expect more I think diminishes the value of the work.

        Joan, did you read the print-only version or the 'graphic novel'? The Vess
        illustrations really bring the story to life.

        "I have a whole rational theory against skiing. What does skiing mean? It
        means that you go up to go down. So why don't you stay down the whole time
        and read a good book?"
        --Slovoj Zizek
        Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
      • Stolzi
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
          I thought THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD BEYOND THE WAVE far the most mythopoeic, very Lewisian, though it had weak points. THE HIGH HOUSE was a wonderful concept but not well-written.

          Just mho -

          Diamond Proudbrook
          Actually each was better than Stardust with The High House the most mythopoec.

        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
            Matthew Winslow wrote:

            > While not Gaiman's best work, I've always enjoyed reading it. I don't find it
            > flat or uninspiring at all. It's what it purports to be: a fairy tale. To
            > expect more I think diminishes the value of the work.

            I enjoy a well-written fairy tale. I own collections of fairy tales. I
            enjoy a lot of novels based on fairy tales. I didn't enjoy Stardust.

            > Joan, did you read the print-only version or the 'graphic novel'? The Vess
            > illustrations really bring the story to life.

            This was the "print-only" version.

            Joan
            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
          • Walkermonk@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
              --

              I too found this book to be enjoyable. I had no expectations about what it
              should be when I started it, mostly because I didn't read it for any reason than

              Grace Walker Monk

            • Walkermonk@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
                In a message dated 8/3/2004 1:03:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
                Stolzi@... writes:
                I thought THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD BEYOND THE WAVE far the most mythopoeic,
                very Lewisian, though it had weak points. THE HIGH HOUSE was a wonderful
                concept but not well-written.

                Just mho -

                Diamond Proudbrook
                ---

                Just to show how different books affect different people -- Mary, my dear
                friend, liked THE HISTORY. I really really didn't. I liked STARDUST. Others
                didn't. Regardless, isn't it nice that we can read them all and discuss them? :-)

                Grace Walker Monk

              • Matthew Winslow
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
                  Matthew Winslow [mwinslow-sf@...] wrote:
                  > While not Gaiman's best work, I've always enjoyed reading it. I don't find it
                  > flat or uninspiring at all. It's what it purports to be: a fairy tale. To
                  > expect more I think diminishes the value of the work.

                  Um, my apologies if this came across a bit agressive. I've been battling a
                  troll on another list I'm on and I guess I was still a bit punchy when I wrote
                  the above.

                  "There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale
                  returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment in fact."
                  --Mark Twain
                  Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
                • Berni Phillips
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
                    From: "Fisher, Matt" <matt.fisher@...>

                    > Joan,
                    >
                    > > I read Stardust while I was in San Diego. I understand that this title
                    > > won a Mythopoeic Fantasy award. What I don't understand is
                    > > how it won a
                    > > Mythopoeic Fantasy Award. I found the novel flat, uninspiring, and not
                    > > particularly well written.
                    > >
                    > > Were the other nominees that year really that bad?
                    >
                    > Looking over the list of finalists from that year (I was on the
                    committee), my recollection is that I found several of the titles just as
                    weak (in different ways)...particularly the Klein and Stoddard.

                    Sometimes the award winner is a compromise book. I wasn't on the committe
                    that year, but I recall discussing the stuff at the time and while _The High
                    House_ may have been mythopoeic, some people didn't find it a very good
                    book.

                    The former awards administrator told me that someone once actually nominated
                    a book for the award with the stirring recommendation of, "It's not very
                    good but it's very mythopoeic." This was quite some time before 1999 so it
                    was not any of the nominees that year.

                    I liked _Stardust_ quite a lot the first time I read it. I re-read it
                    recently (since I was re-reading Gaiman's stuff for Mythcon) and had the
                    reaction you did this time, Joan. I did not enjoy it anywhere near as much.

                    Berni
                  • Deidre
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 3, 2004
                      At 01:13 PM 8/3/04 -0500, Joan wrote:
                      >Matthew Winslow wrote:
                      >
                      > > Joan, did you read the print-only version or the 'graphic novel'? The Vess
                      > > illustrations really bring the story to life.
                      >
                      >This was the "print-only" version.

                      Neil and Charles collaborated on this graphic novel, if that's one wishes
                      to call it. The pictures and the story just go together perfectly IMHO. I
                      can't imagine the story without those pictures. Please try it again in the
                      "illustrated" version. I would like to hope that you would think better of it.

                      Btw, Vess is one of my favorite artists and Gaiman is one of my favorite
                      writers, so I have always thought that their work together is magical.
                      Mythopoeic, *shrugs* I don't know, but their work, together and separately,
                      does resonate with me.

                      Deidre
                    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                        I was on the committee, and gave *High House* a high vote. I don't recall
                        where I placed Gaiman. I remember I liked it, marginally, but liked at
                        least three others better: Stoddard, McKillip (one of her good ones) and
                        the Kline. I think I liked the Kline better than McKillip and Stoddard
                        best of all. (But I may be remembering things wrong.) ---djb

                        >I read Stardust while I was in San Diego. I understand that this title
                        >won a Mythopoeic Fantasy award. What I don't understand is how it won a
                        >Mythopoeic Fantasy Award. I found the novel flat, uninspiring, and not
                        >particularly well written.
                        >
                        >Were the other nominees that year really that bad?

                        Actually each was better than Stardust with The High House the most
                        mythopoec.

                        1999
                        (Adult)
                        * *Stardust by Neil Gaiman and Charles Vess
                        * Someplace to be Flying by Charles de Lint
                        * The History of our World Beyond the Wave by R.E. Klein
                        * Song for the Basilisk by Patricia A. McKillip
                        * The High House by James Stoddard

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://mail2web.com/ .
                      • Jack
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                          >I was on the committee, and gave *High House* a high vote. I don't recall
                          >where I placed Gaiman. I remember I liked it, marginally, but liked at
                          >least three others better: Stoddard, McKillip (one of her good ones) and
                          >the Kline. I think I liked the Kline better than McKillip and Stoddard
                          >best of all. (But I may be remembering things wrong.) ---djb

                          The two Evenmere novels, The High House and The False House, were released
                          in limited editions a few years.

                          http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_stoddard_highhousesoulwave.html
                        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                            >I was on the committee, and gave *High House* a high vote. I don't recall
                            >where I placed Gaiman. I remember I liked it, marginally, but liked at
                            >least three others better: Stoddard, McKillip (one of her good ones) and
                            >the Kline. I think I liked the Kline better than McKillip and Stoddard
                            >best of all. (But I may be remembering things wrong.) ---djb

                            >>The two Evenmere novels, The High House and The False House, were
                            released
                            >>in limited editions a few years.

                            >>http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_stoddard_highhousesoulwave.html

                            Have them both. Thank you. ---djb

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            http://mail2web.com/ .
                          • Jack
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                              >>>The two Evenmere novels, The High House and The False House, were
                              >released
                              >>>in limited editions a few years.
                              >
                              >>>http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_stoddard_highhousesoulwave.html
                              >
                              >Have them both. Thank you. ---djb

                              Stoddard's very proud of the job the publisher did on them. He didn't make anything off these editions,
                              but they flew him to Nashville (I believe) and he had a great time discussing the design with the SoulWave
                              folks.
                            • Stolzi
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                                I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids but now it wasn't.

                                At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

                                Diamond Proudbrook.

                              • Jack
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                                  I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
                                  scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
                                  children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
                                  but now it wasn't.

                                  Was Stardust wriiten as anything but an adult novel? I though the sex scene
                                  made sense in terms of the plot as it had developed up to that point.

                                • Stolzi
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 4, 2004
                                    Well, I think it's billed as a "fairy tale for adults," but when has that stopped sharing a good book with one's children? How many of you here handed LORD OF THE RINGS to the little darlings as soon as you thought they could absorb it? Or how many had children who found it for themselves? :)

                                    Diamond Proudbrook
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                                      Er, I must make a correction; I have both *High* and *False* in regular
                                      MMPB editions, not the new ones you referred to, though I'd sure like to
                                      take a look at the illustrations.

                                      I love illustrations best when they act as "jumping off points" for the
                                      imagination of the reader; I love Ted Nasmith's work for another reason:
                                      because it captures as close as humanly possible, the images *I already had
                                      in mind* as I read JRRT's work. ---djb

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                                        >I remember being really p.o.'ed about STARDUST because he threw in a sex
                                        >scene I thought was gratuitous, and thinking that for a parent with young
                                        >children, this would otherwise have been a fun book to share with the kids
                                        >but now it wasn't.

                                        I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
                                        to hit. If it's a "Fairy Tale for Grownups" it should be so labeled,
                                        either in a blurb or part of the title. The violence is often quite
                                        reminiscent of normal fairy tales (before they got bowdlerized).

                                        >At the Mythcon he said he tried to write a pre-Tolkien fairytale in
                                        >STARDUST, but I don't think he succeeded, as I remember the book, though
                                        >it's been quite a while now, I think it could well be compared, not with
                                        >the LOTR, but with Tolkien's shorter fairy tales and seem much like them.

                                        Good point. ---djb

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        http://mail2web.com/ .
                                      • Joshua Kronengold
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 5, 2004
                                          dianejoy@... writes:
                                          >I thought it inappropriate. Sometimes I wonder what audience Neil's trying
                                          >to hit.

                                          Me.

                                          More to the point, at this point, he's hitting the audince of people
                                          who like Neil Gaiman's work, along with anyone who's only been clued
                                          in recently.

                                          But even with Stardust, I don't think he's going for a child
                                          audience--maybe with works like "The Day I Sold My Father For Two
                                          Goldfish" or something.

                                          --
                                          Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\ _,,,--,,_ ,)
                                          --^-- "Get your mind right and you can make a stick /,`.-'`' -, ;-;;'
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 6, 2004