MythCon in Gaiman's blog

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2004
      From the blog of Neil Gaiman, GoH of the recently ended MythCon:

      I had a marvellous time at Mythcon; I handwrote a speech, but didn't type it,
      which meant that I sort of used what I'd written the basis of the talk I gave
      (about me as a boy, and C.S. Lewis, Tolkien and Chesterton) but left myself
      room to elaborate, improvise and burble.

      I love conventions and conferences which are small enough for me to meet
      people. I come away from a Mythcon knowing more people than I did before:
      something San Diego-size, I come away from having failed to see several
      hundred old friends.

      I read some excellent papers (my favourite was David Bratman's essay on the
      Sandman story "A Game of You", mostly because he said a number of things I
      thought about that problematic story), met some lovely people, and was, at the
      banquet, confronted by Food Sculptures: a Mythcon tradition which will haunt
      me till I die, or possibly beyond...

      http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2004/08/lewis-and-clarke-not-to-mention-snuff.asp

      "What's friendship when all done but the giving and taking of wounds?"
      --Frederick Buechner's Godric
      Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2004
        From: "Matthew Winslow" <mwinslow-sf@...>

        > From the blog of Neil Gaiman, GoH of the recently ended MythCon:
        >
        > I read some excellent papers (my favourite was David Bratman's essay on
        the
        > Sandman story "A Game of You", mostly because he said a number of things I
        > thought about that problematic story), met some lovely people, and was, at
        the
        > banquet, confronted by Food Sculptures: a Mythcon tradition which will
        haunt
        > me till I die, or possibly beyond...

        Hee-hee-hee-hee-hee. See what you missed? The committee did forget to
        allow time at the banquet for the procession of the food sculptures, the
        number of which grows every year. As a result, I doubt that anyone but
        Gaiman saw them all.

        Our table produced "American Globs" (two round fancy pats of butter with a
        little American flag that Bernadette Bosky created out of the inside of a
        sugar packet, using lipstick for the red stripes and blue ink for the star
        part -- this one got a big groan from Gaiman) and "Fiddler's Green in the
        Creaming" (many pieces of the rosemary garnish stuck in a slab of
        eggplant -- almost every year, they feed the vegetarians eggplant and I
        don't like eggplant -- with some mushroom and then cream poured around it)
        for Neil Gaiman. Bernadette Bosky produced a similar creation for the
        scholar guest of honor, Chuck Huttar (there were two pieces of eggplant),
        only hers was an island on Perelandra and she included a little figure of
        Ransom made of cauliflower and instead of cream, she used water to make it
        an island.

        Berni
      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
          Berni Phillips [bernip@...] wrote:
          > Hee-hee-hee-hee-hee. See what you missed?

          Oh, sure, rub it in. <g> Well, hopefully in 2006.

          "I sometimes think that writing is like driving sheep down a road. If there
          is any gate open to the left or to the right the readers will most
          certainly go down it."
          --C.S. Lewis
          Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
            Matt -

            If you miss 2006, there is no hope...

            Mythically yours,
            Lisa
            PS For those of you who don't know, Seattle is where Mythcon 2006 (36 or
            37?) will be held and Matt lives in Seattle. In fact, he will probably
            be on the committed.

            Matthew Winslow wrote:

            >Berni Phillips [bernip@...] wrote:
            >

            >>Hee-hee-hee-hee-hee. See what you missed?
            >>

            >Oh, sure, rub it in. <g> Well, hopefully in 2006.

          • chris
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2004
              Lisa:
              > PS For those of you who don't know, Seattle is where Mythcon 2006 (36 or
              > 37?) will be held and Matt lives in Seattle. In fact, he will probably
              > be on the committed.

              Matt? Committed? ... But, no, one chooses rather to bite her tongue in an
              effort to keep it out of her cheek.

              chris.
              --
              * wrdnrd.com