Re: [mythsoc] Winners?

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
      _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
      _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
      _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley_
      _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
        WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
        > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
        > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
        > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley_
        > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

        Thanks, Wendell. The Garth and the Lawrence/Jewett come as no suprise, but I
        must admit I'm a bit amazed at the McKinley. Not that it wasn't well written,
        but I didn't feel it was 'in the spirit of the Inklings' all that much. (And I
        haven't read the Dunkle, so I haven't any opinion about it.)

        "No one who has once taken the language under his care can ever again be
        really happy."
        --Thomas Lounsbury
        Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
          > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
          > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
          > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley_
          > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

          >>Thanks, Wendell. The Garth and the Lawrence/Jewett come as no suprise,
          but >>I must admit I'm a bit amazed at the McKinley. Not that it wasn't
          well >>written,but I didn't feel it was 'in the spirit of the Inklings' all
          that >>much. (And I haven't read the Dunkle, so I haven't any opinion about
          it.)

          I'm a bit surprised, too, though I'm glad McKillip didn't win with the book
          she wrote this year; I'd much rather see *Alphabet of Thorns* on next
          year's list (though competition's gonna be stiff). *Sunshine* didn't feel
          very "Inklings-like" to me, but then most of them didn't---except for
          *Paladin of Souls.* Wonder how close that came to picking up the Lion? I
          think lots of people went for "new author." Plus it was a good read.
          *Paladin* was kind of close to the last award Bujold got from us; she is,
          of course, fabulous. ---djb
          "No one who has once taken the language under his care can ever again be
          really happy."
          --Thomas Lounsbury
          Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
            From: <dianejoy@...>

            > *Paladin* was kind of close to the last award Bujold got from us.

            Since PALADIN OF SOULS is not only set in the same universe as the
            MFA-winning THE CURSE OF CHALION but also features one of Curse's characters
            as its protagonist, that's not a surprise.

            Berni
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
              In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:07:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              WendellWag@... writes:

              > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
              > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
              > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley
              > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

              Claire Dunkle was the only one of the winners to come to pick up her award,
              and she came all the way from Germany. (She's an American presently living in
              Germany.) I know by now that, when someone surprising comes to Mythcon with
              the story that they came just because they had been nominated for an award,
              that means that they have won the award. (Winners are told beforehand but aren't
              supposed to tell anyone else that they have won.) John Garth begged off
              coming with the flimsy excuse that he was getting married that weekend.

              Incidentally, I just noticed that the Mythopoeic Awards have reached another
              milestone of general recognition among literary awards. In a letter in the
              latest issue of _The New York Review of Books_, Lois R. Kuznets corrected a
              reviewer who is a previous issue had paraphrased briefly from her book _When Toys
              Come Alive_ but misspelled her name and didn't give a citation. Kuznets noted
              that her book "won three prizes: Children's Literature Association Award for
              Best Scholarly Book of 1994; International Research Society Award for
              Scholarly Book; Mythopoeic Society Scholarship Award for Myth and Fantasy Studies."
              I've been noting for years other milestones for the Mythopoeic Awards, such as
              the first time that the award was mentioned in the blurb on a book's jacket
              (this happened quite a while ago) and the time that the Mythopoeic Awards were
              mentioned in a two-page layout in the bulletin of the Science Fiction Book Club
              as more or less equal with the Hugos and Nebulas (this happened a year or two
              ago).

            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
                I, perhaps, miscommunicated. I recognized the setting and actually voted
                for *Paladin* as my #1 choice; I was speculating on the process of voting
                and the thought process (from other committee members) that placed
                *Sunshine* as the winning book. I rather figured it would win, and I'm
                fine with that.

                Rosemary Kirstein has another coming out in September, *The Language of
                Power*. (I KNOW it is SF, but CSL wrote SF, so I don't see why that
                disqualifies any MFA candidate.) Actually, Le Guin is also SF, to some
                degree. RK's books also have beautiful Cliff Neilson covers. They're what
                made me look at the books. Rich and lovely. ---djb