Winners?

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
      So, anyone care to let the rest of us know who won the awards?

      "A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't
      read them."
      --Mark Twain
      Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
        _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
        _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
        _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley_
        _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

      • Matthew Winslow
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
          WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
          > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
          > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
          > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley_
          > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

          Thanks, Wendell. The Garth and the Lawrence/Jewett come as no suprise, but I
          must admit I'm a bit amazed at the McKinley. Not that it wasn't well written,
          but I didn't feel it was 'in the spirit of the Inklings' all that much. (And I
          haven't read the Dunkle, so I haven't any opinion about it.)

          "No one who has once taken the language under his care can ever again be
          really happy."
          --Thomas Lounsbury
          Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
            > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
            > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
            > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley_
            > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

            >>Thanks, Wendell. The Garth and the Lawrence/Jewett come as no suprise,
            but >>I must admit I'm a bit amazed at the McKinley. Not that it wasn't
            well >>written,but I didn't feel it was 'in the spirit of the Inklings' all
            that >>much. (And I haven't read the Dunkle, so I haven't any opinion about
            it.)

            I'm a bit surprised, too, though I'm glad McKillip didn't win with the book
            she wrote this year; I'd much rather see *Alphabet of Thorns* on next
            year's list (though competition's gonna be stiff). *Sunshine* didn't feel
            very "Inklings-like" to me, but then most of them didn't---except for
            *Paladin of Souls.* Wonder how close that came to picking up the Lion? I
            think lots of people went for "new author." Plus it was a good read.
            *Paladin* was kind of close to the last award Bujold got from us; she is,
            of course, fabulous. ---djb
            "No one who has once taken the language under his care can ever again be
            really happy."
            --Thomas Lounsbury
            Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2004
              From: <dianejoy@...>

              > *Paladin* was kind of close to the last award Bujold got from us.

              Since PALADIN OF SOULS is not only set in the same universe as the
              MFA-winning THE CURSE OF CHALION but also features one of Curse's characters
              as its protagonist, that's not a surprise.

              Berni
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
                In a message dated 8/2/2004 7:07:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                WendellWag@... writes:

                > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
                > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
                > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley
                > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

                Claire Dunkle was the only one of the winners to come to pick up her award,
                and she came all the way from Germany. (She's an American presently living in
                Germany.) I know by now that, when someone surprising comes to Mythcon with
                the story that they came just because they had been nominated for an award,
                that means that they have won the award. (Winners are told beforehand but aren't
                supposed to tell anyone else that they have won.) John Garth begged off
                coming with the flimsy excuse that he was getting married that weekend.

                Incidentally, I just noticed that the Mythopoeic Awards have reached another
                milestone of general recognition among literary awards. In a letter in the
                latest issue of _The New York Review of Books_, Lois R. Kuznets corrected a
                reviewer who is a previous issue had paraphrased briefly from her book _When Toys
                Come Alive_ but misspelled her name and didn't give a citation. Kuznets noted
                that her book "won three prizes: Children's Literature Association Award for
                Best Scholarly Book of 1994; International Research Society Award for
                Scholarly Book; Mythopoeic Society Scholarship Award for Myth and Fantasy Studies."
                I've been noting for years other milestones for the Mythopoeic Awards, such as
                the first time that the award was mentioned in the blurb on a book's jacket
                (this happened quite a while ago) and the time that the Mythopoeic Awards were
                mentioned in a two-page layout in the bulletin of the Science Fiction Book Club
                as more or less equal with the Hugos and Nebulas (this happened a year or two
                ago).

              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 5, 2004
                  I, perhaps, miscommunicated. I recognized the setting and actually voted
                  for *Paladin* as my #1 choice; I was speculating on the process of voting
                  and the thought process (from other committee members) that placed
                  *Sunshine* as the winning book. I rather figured it would win, and I'm
                  fine with that.

                  Rosemary Kirstein has another coming out in September, *The Language of
                  Power*. (I KNOW it is SF, but CSL wrote SF, so I don't see why that
                  disqualifies any MFA candidate.) Actually, Le Guin is also SF, to some
                  degree. RK's books also have beautiful Cliff Neilson covers. They're what
                  made me look at the books. Rich and lovely. ---djb