Re: summer reading

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2004
      I don't remember ever being given a summer-reading list, required or
      recommended. On the other hand, I kept track of my reading one summer
      while I was in high school. About 9/10ths of it was mysteries or SF. The
      other tenth in those days was largely dramas--Shaw (including his
      prefaces), Tennessee Williams, William Inge, with a sprinkling of Arthur
      Miller and Eugene O'Neill. (I suggested one time teaching a graduate class
      on Ibsen and Shaw, but it didn't come through.) I suspect most readers are
      similarly eclectic.

      --Joe
    • Croft, Janet B.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23, 2004
        I used to keep track of everything I read, too. Lots of SF, from James
        Blish's Star Trek adaptations to Heinlein and Clark; lots of fantasy; a
        smattering of mysteries; plays, mostly Shakespeare and the Greeks; and a
        lot of classics as well. I blew away my senior year English teacher
        when I told him I read Bocaccio's Decameron for fun over the summer --
        but I probably never would have known about it if I hadn't stumbled
        across it at a flea market. A lot of what I read was picked up for 10
        cents a book... I don't think I ever encountered a reading list either.
        And my daughter is home-schooled, so I don't know what they do around
        here. Maybe I ought to make up a list for her of what she should have
        read before she gets to college...

        Janet