Re: [mythsoc] Summer Reading List Blues

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 22, 2004
      You're starting to look like Vishnu or somebody, Mr. Bratman, what with
      all those hands!

      On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 09:00:15PM -0700, David Bratman wrote:
      > On the one hand, two of my elementary-school teachers (in unwitting
      > collaboration) were responsible for introducing me to _The Hobbit_. For
      > which I am eternally grateful. That book changed my life.
      >
      > On the other hand, I was fed crappy "relevant" literature even then, in the
      > 60s. I remember in particular a loathsomely high-minded book called _The
      > Pigman_ by Paul Zindel.
      >
      > I was also fed a lot of crap that was distinguished as "great literature."
      > Herman Melville and Joseph Conrad are the ones that still make me flinch
      > the most.
      >
      > On the third hand, I discovered and loathed Dickens all on my own.
      >
      > On the fourth hand, the great author probably most loathed by the most
      > students, Shakespeare, is one I lapped up eagerly both in school and at
      > performances I went to voluntarily.
      >
      > - David Bratman

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ginger McElwee
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 23, 2004
        David Bratman wrote:

        >On the other hand, I was fed crappy "relevant" literature even then, in
        the
        >60s. I remember in particular a loathsomely high-minded book called
        _The
        >Pigman_ by Paul Zindel.

        >I was also fed a lot of crap that was distinguished as "great
        literature."
        >Herman Melville and Joseph Conrad are the ones that still make me
        flinch
        >the most.

        >On the third hand, I discovered and loathed Dickens all on my own.

        I think the problem with the summer reading list is not that children
        are reading �relevant� literature, but that they are not being given a
        choice of a variety of things to read. As a child I loved Tolkien, but
        I also eagerly read Dickens, Shakespeare, and even Grace Livingston
        Hill. My children read Lloyd Alexander along with Cynthia Voigt, and I
        read both types of books along with them (and enjoyed them all.) Summer
        reading should have some choice involved, and probably some variety as
        well. To limit reading to one genre or theme is to limit the mind and
        the imagination. Let the kids have some fun with their reading during
        the summer.

        By the way, it�s been years since I read _Heart of Darkness_ or _Moby
        Dick_, but I remember really enjoying them both. _The Pigman_, on the
        other hand, was an awful book. I was forced to teach that when I worked
        in a high school years ago.

        Ginger McElwee

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        HYPERLINK
        "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129kpki09/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705020227:HM/EXP=1090641664/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
        p:/companion.yahoo.com"click here

        HYPERLINK
        "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=group
        s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=815366070"

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        HYPERLINK
        "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/my
        thsoc/

        HYPERLINK
        "mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"mythsoc-

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---

      • Christine Howlett
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 23, 2004
          English teachers seem to have a lot to answer for! I learned to think that
          literature must be something quite unpleasant after being marched through
          Dickens' "Tale of Two Cities" in junior high (which requires a lot more
          historical context than most eighth-graders have). And I LOVED to read at
          the time, would read cereal boxes if nothing else offered. I took the
          required English comp course in college and then abandoned the English
          department with relief. After college, while idling in a friend's house and
          feeling very bored, I picked up Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" with no
          expectation of any pleasure and was amazed at how wonderful it was. Within
          a short time thereafter, I had read all of Austen's books, all of Dickens,
          most of Trolloppe, several of Thackeray, George Meredith's "The Egoist"
          (unjustly neglected), and the Bronte sisters' books. I still don't like
          "Tale of Two Cities"; I think it's Dickens sappiest and it doesn't have the
          comic relief of the minor characters and subplots - but then it's the
          shortest and I think that's why teachers choose it. I have to admit I
          really like Dickens generally. I even spent real money just to have the
          Oxford hardbound set.

          Has anyone tried Jasper Fforde's fantasies where the protagonists get caught
          up 'inside' these books? I liked the first, "The Eyre Affair" tremendously.

          Christine
          > On the one hand, two of my elementary-school teachers (in unwitting
          > collaboration) were responsible for introducing me to _The Hobbit_. For
          > which I am eternally grateful. That book changed my life.
          >
          > On the other hand, I was fed crappy "relevant" literature even then, in
          the
          > 60s. I remember in particular a loathsomely high-minded book called _The
          > Pigman_ by Paul Zindel.
          >
          > I was also fed a lot of crap that was distinguished as "great literature."
          > Herman Melville and Joseph Conrad are the ones that still make me flinch
          > the most.
          >
          > On the third hand, I discovered and loathed Dickens all on my own.
          >
          > On the fourth hand, the great author probably most loathed by the most
          > students, Shakespeare, is one I lapped up eagerly both in school and at
          > performances I went to voluntarily.
          >
          > - David Bratman

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 23, 2004
            From: "Christine Howlett" <chowlett@...>

            > Has anyone tried Jasper Fforde's fantasies where the protagonists get
            caught
            > up 'inside' these books? I liked the first, "The Eyre Affair"
            tremendously.

            Oh, yes! It was recommended to me by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull so I
            thought, hey, if they recommend it, it must be good! I loved it and the
            whole concept of a universe taking books so seriously. I enjoyed _Lost in a
            Good Book_, too, but I like the first the best (maybe because you have all
            the wonder of being introduced to these things).

            Berni