Number of Stewards (continued)

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 1999
      I wrote:

      >At the moment, we have 10 Stewards:
      >
      >1. Founder of the Society and Mythlore Editor: Glen GoodKnight
      >2. Membership Secretary: Ken Lauw
      >3. Secretary for Mythopoeic Conferences: David Bratman (resigning Mar. 1)
      >4. Discussion Group Secretary: David Lenander
      >5. Treasurer: Lisa Harrigan
      >6. Mythprint Editor: Eleanor Farrell
      >7. Mythic Circle Editor: Gwenyth Hood
      >8. Orders Dept.: Lee Speth
      >9. Corresponding Secretary (and current Chair): Edith Crowe
      >10. Mythopoeic Press Secretary: me

      Actually, I missed one: Mike Glyer, the Recording Secretary. With David
      Bratman leaving, that gives us 10, and we still have a difficulty to face.

      Joan

      Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
      List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 1999
        At 10:30 PM 2/25/99 CST, Joan Marie Verba wrote:
        >From: "Joan Marie Verba" <verba001@...>
        >
        >>At the moment, we have 10 Stewards:
        >>
        >>1. Founder of the Society and Mythlore Editor: Glen GoodKnight
        >>2. Membership Secretary: Ken Lauw
        >>3. Secretary for Mythopoeic Conferences: David Bratman (resigning Mar. 1)
        >>4. Discussion Group Secretary: David Lenander
        >>5. Treasurer: Lisa Harrigan
        >>6. Mythprint Editor: Eleanor Farrell
        >>7. Mythic Circle Editor: Gwenyth Hood
        >>8. Orders Dept.: Lee Speth
        >>9. Corresponding Secretary (and current Chair): Edith Crowe
        >>10. Mythopoeic Press Secretary: me
        >
        >Actually, I missed one: Mike Glyer, the Recording Secretary. With David
        >Bratman leaving, that gives us 10, and we still have a difficulty to face.

        Actually the number of Stewards we must have is "between 7 and 11". We had,
        before everyone started leaving, 11 members the maximum allowed. Glen held a
        double position. He has only resigned one of those positions. Thus someone
        else must either take a double position or a position must be "demoted".
        There are very few Stewards positions that must be on the Board. By
        tradition, the editors, the Founder, the treasurer, and the recording
        secretary are always there. The last two positions and the President
        (elected from the board members) are the only legally required positions.
        But we like having the people doing the REAL work (like membership list
        maintaining) to have a voice, so they also are placed on the Council. Thus
        we grew to 11 members, and now must think of expanded our maximum so we can
        let all the workers into decision making process.

        I seem to remember at one point, the Stewards almost had problems
        maintaining the minimum 7 members, so many people were doing double duty and
        there was talk of passing an amendment to our bylaws to LOWER the number of
        Stewards required. <g> Luckily, some shifting of jobs happened and that
        crisis was averted.

        Some how I like the new one better.

        Mythically yours,

        Lisa

        P.S. All this talk of Number of Stewards frankly makes my head hurt. And I
        LOVE numbers.

        Lisa Deutsch Harrigan * Treasurer, The Mythopoeic Society
        lisa@... * Treasurer, South Bay Costumers Guild
        * Treasurer to Fandom
        The Mythopoeic Society is a literary society that studies J.R,R, Tolkien,
        C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and other Fantasy writers.
        If you are interested in learning more about it, visit our website at:
        http://www.mythsoc.org
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26, 1999
          Lisa wrote:

          >Actually the number of Stewards we must have is "between 7 and 11". We had,
          >before everyone started leaving, 11 members the maximum allowed.

          Thanks for the clarification!
          Joan

          Joan Marie Verba verba001@...
          List administrator for DocEx, MythSoc, MNSCBWI, and MNSCREENW lists