Laurel K Hamilton

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
      I have heard this name once or twice. If anyone wants to admit reading
      her, can you suggest a title or two that I start with if I want to give her
      a try? There are a Lot of titles on amazon.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • jtheyman@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
        The first of her vampire books is (appropriately enough) "Guilty Pleasures". The next 4 or 5 get progressively more like horror/pornography instead of fantasy/alternate reality (in my opinion) and I eventually stopped reading them. I have no idea if she still writes that way, but the first two or three weren't *too* bad.

        The first of her elves in America books is "A Kiss of Shadows" and begins in a style more porn than fantasy (in my opinion) and I only read the first one.

        ~ JTHeyman

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
          >I have heard this name once or twice. If anyone wants to admit reading
          >her, can you suggest a title or two that I start with if I want to give her
          >a try? There are a Lot of titles on amazon.

          Try the Merry Gentry series.

          http://www.greenmanreview.com/akissofshadows.html
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
            From: "jtheyman@..." <JTHeyman@...>

            > The first of her vampire books is (appropriately enough) "Guilty
            Pleasures". The next 4 or 5 get progressively more like horror/pornography
            instead of fantasy/alternate reality (in my opinion) and I eventually
            stopped reading them. I have no idea if she still writes that way, but the
            first two or three weren't *too* bad.

            > The first of her elves in America books is "A Kiss of Shadows" and begins
            in a style more porn than fantasy (in my opinion) and I only read the first
            one.

            I concur. I like the way she writes. She has a clever turn of phrase and I
            like her world-building in the vampire novels: in a world where there are
            really vampires and werewolves and such, the police are routinely issued
            silver crosses as part of their uniform and have access to silver bullets.

            But after the first few books, she took me too far out of my comfort zone.
            I am too squeamish to read such graphic sex and violence. And she also
            becomes increasingly obsessed with clothing, devoting too much of her text
            to its descriptions.

            I didn't even start the second series because someone warned me that they
            were even more graphic.

            It's a pity. If she would tone it down, I would gladly read her stuff.

            Try Charlaine Harris' Southern gothic vampire books if you've decided not to
            read these.

            Berni
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 16, 2004
              Thanks, folks, I will likely start looking up those titles when we get back
              from camping. I had heard that she writes in a sort of, er, erotica genre
              of sorts, and it just piqued my interest some. Thanks for the starting
              points. I appreciate it.

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 17, 2004
                << Try Charlaine Harris' Southern gothic vampire books if you've decided
                not to
                read these. >>

                Thanks, Berni. Oh, I can read sex. I can write sex. I want to see what
                the successful folks are doing in this crossover fantasy-soft-porn genre.
                Violence I'm not so keen on. So we shall see.

                Lizzie

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia