Re: [mythsoc] Extended DVDs

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2004
      At 10:47 AM 7/12/2004 -0400, Diane Joy Baker wrote:

      >No one MAKES us buy any of the LOTR items, including the kitsch.

      No one was arguing that they did, so this is beside the point. No one is
      making us see the films at all. No one is making us read the book, either,
      and nobody is making us watch "reality TV" or Michael Moore or any other
      cultural phenomena that regularly get denounced. However, we are being
      ASKED to buy, read, watch, etc. These things are part of our culture and
      we can talk about how much we like being asked to buy them. So let's talk
      about the Extended DVDs and not pretend this has anything to do with
      compulsion.

      >The DVD version is surely the version Jackson prefers, since he didn't show
      >the shorter versions the second time around.

      Probably true, but also beside the point. Jackson released the shorter
      versions to theatres. He should be willing to be judged by them.

      >But we live in a less than perfect place, and Jackson had to make one kind
      >of movie for theatre-goers (shorter) and another for DVD buyers for the
      >project to be viable.

      Every time I read "We live in a less than perfect place, so I must
      compromise my artistic integrity," I hear the voice of Saruman.

      >Ideally, no, the DVDs should not "save" the films on artistic terms, but
      >the nice thing is that we can choose which version to purchase. Jackson is
      >providing me a service; I can take it or leave it.

      But we're being asked to take it, and therefore we can say why or why not
      we're inclined to do so - and, more importantly, whether considering the
      Extended versions to be the "real" versions means we were ripped off by
      paying to see an "incomplete" version in the theatre that was not
      identified as such.

      - David Bratman