RE: NEH Institute

  • Fisher, Matt
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 12 2:01 PM
      Edith wrote:

      > To answer Lizzie's question, the Tolkien Institute at Texas
      > A&M, mentioned
      > on Verlyn Flieger's web site, is a one-shot NEH-funded institute for
      > secondary school teachers.
      > (See
      > http://www7.tamu-commerce.edu/tamuc-news/news-return.asp?offse
      > t=10&Item=1564%0D).

      More information about the NEH Tolkien Institute can be found at:
      http://www7.tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien/

      The site contains information about the 10 scholars invited to participate, the schedule of the Institute, the readings that participants are expected to complete, and links to related sites.

      Matt Fisher
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 12 4:02 PM
        Here's the list of participating scholars. Take a close look at the URL.
        Take a real close look.

        <http://www7.tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien/Tolkein_Scholars.htm>
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 12 4:35 PM
          >Here's the list of participating scholars. Take a close look at the URL.
          >Take a real close look.
          >
          ><http://www7.tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien/Tolkein_Scholars.htm>

          So? What am I to see? Texas A&M University -- Commerce is a fully accredited university.
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 12 4:39 PM
            Take a closer look. Take a real close look.

            At 07:35 PM 7/12/2004 -0400, Jack wrote:

            >><http://www7.tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien/Tolkein_Scholars.htm>
            >
            >So? What am I to see? Texas A&M University -- Commerce is a fully accredited
            >university.
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 12 4:58 PM
              You mean, the part about the TolkEIn Scholars?

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • Jack
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 12 4:58 PM
                >Take a closer look. Take a real close look.

                I did. It's the server of the University of Texas A&M, located in Commerce, Texas.

                http://www.commerce-tx.com/CoC_Home_Page.htm

                So do tell. What's weird about it?
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 12 5:01 PM
                  Oh, Ow ! And then the ... what is it called? That color-coded top bar
                  where the site name appears? says:

                  J.R.R. Tokien Institute

                  I know many clever and hard-working people can't spell, and it's no big
                  deal really. It's the thought processes that are important. But
                  sloppiness... that is bad. This is my standard
                  administrative-type-person's gripe with this everybody-types-their-own-work
                  era. It's not just the Internet, although many horrible examples exist.
                  Even in the workplace, folks are bypassing their secretaries to type their
                  own work, with horrendous results.

                  Oops, sorry, I guess one of my personal burrs was pulled.

                  Lizzie

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • Ginger McElwee
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 12 5:05 PM
                    Obviously someone else types (or spells) as badly as I do.

                    Ginger McElwee

                    "http://www7.tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien/Tolkein_Scholars.htm"http://www7.
                    tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien/Tolkein_Scholars.htm>

                    >So? What am I to see? Texas A&M University -- Commerce is a fully
                    accredited
                    >university.

                    The Mythopoeic Society website HYPERLINK
                    "http://www.mythsoc.org"http://www.mythsoc.org

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129sohkcr/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
                    D=groups/S=1705020227:HM/EXP=1089762557/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
                    p:/companion.yahoo.com"click here

                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=group
                    s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=926242004"

                    _____

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    HYPERLINK
                    "http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mythsoc/"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/my
                    thsoc/

                    HYPERLINK
                    "mailto:mythsoc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe"mythsoc-

                    ---
                    Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                    ---

                  • Jack
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 12 5:16 PM
                      >Obviously someone else types (or spells) as badly as I do.

                      Ahhh. I see. A typo in the URL. Big bloody deal.

                      Good folks presenting from reading the page.
                    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 13 7:08 AM
                        >Here's the list of participating scholars. Take a close look at the URL.
                        >Take a real close look.
                        >
                        ><http://www7.tamu-commerce.edu/Tolkien/Tolkein_Scholars.htm>

                        >>So? What am I to see? Texas A&M University -- Commerce is a fully
                        >>accredited university.

                        I think it's the variant spellings of JRRT that he refers to; a site on
                        JRRT (you would think) would be spelled consistently and correctly, esp. by
                        educators. ---djb

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://mail2web.com/ .
                      • Jack
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 13 7:54 AM
                          >I think it's the variant spellings of JRRT that he refers to; a site on
                          >JRRT (you would think) would be spelled consistently and correctly, esp. by
                          >educators. ---djb

                          Most likely a tech in University computing serives set it up as most educators don't do websites.

                          Sloppy, yes. Reflecting on the Conference, no.
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 13 8:55 AM
                            At 10:54 AM 7/13/2004 -0400, Jack wrote:

                            >Most likely a tech in University computing serives set it up as most
                            >educators don't do websites.
                            >
                            >Sloppy, yes. Reflecting on the Conference, no.

                            Sloppiness on the conference's behalf reflects on the conference. URLs can
                            be changed.

                            - David Bratman
                          • Croft, Janet B.
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 13 10:37 AM
                              Okay, okay -- I sent it in to the organizers.

                              Janet

                              At 10:54 AM 7/13/2004 -0400, Jack wrote:

                              >Most likely a tech in University computing serives set it up as most
                              >educators don't do websites.
                              >
                              >Sloppy, yes. Reflecting on the Conference, no.

                              Sloppiness on the conference's behalf reflects on the conference. URLs
                              can
                              be changed.

                              - David Bratman

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 13 3:04 PM
                                Tolkien lives in all my spell checkers. Even if I don't always get
                                everything right, I will usually pick that one up.

                                My favorite figure tie-ers are Mythopoeic Society, which I have to type
                                a lot in my title when responding to Paypal payments. And of course the
                                traditional "Teh". I'm a bookkeeper, not a secretary.

                                Mythically yours,
                                Lisa

                                Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

                                >Oh, Ow ! And then the ... what is it called? That color-coded top bar
                                >where the site name appears? says:
                                >
                                >J.R.R. Tokien Institute
                                >
                                >I know many clever and hard-working people can't spell, and it's no big
                                >deal really. It's the thought processes that are important. But
                                >sloppiness... that is bad. This is my standard
                                >administrative-type-person's gripe with this everybody-types-their-own-work
                                >era. It's not just the Internet, although many horrible examples exist.
                                >Even in the workplace, folks are bypassing their secretaries to type their
                                >own work, with horrendous results.
                                >
                                >Oops, sorry, I guess one of my personal burrs was pulled.

                              • tghsaw
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 13 4:05 PM
                                  > Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:54:49 -0400
                                  > From: Jack <jack@...>
                                  > Subject: Re: RE: NEH Institute
                                  >
                                  > >I think it's the variant spellings of JRRT that he refers to; a site on
                                  > >JRRT (you would think) would be spelled consistently and correctly, esp.
                                  by
                                  > >educators. ---djb

                                  It might depend on how badly they want to be found. On the main
                                  JRRT-related pages on my primary website, I have meta tags (which are often
                                  found in the HTML code for the head of the page) spelled each way--you never
                                  know how someone's going to type it into a search engine. I believe URL's
                                  affect how you "pop up" in a search engine listing, too, although I'm not
                                  quite clear on the relationship (and the ranking systems are constantly
                                  changing, anyway). The folks at TAMU might be able to spell fine, but want
                                  to be sure that folks who *can't* spell will still be able to find them. A
                                  worthy aim for educators, I'd think. 8-)
                                  --Trudy

                                  [A hopefully innocuous post from someone else who usually keeps quiet here
                                  in order to avoid attacks--but who felt moved to speak up on behalf of
                                  computer techs everywhere. 8-) ]
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 13 9:57 PM
                                    Hiding variant spellings in meta tags is one thing. Putting them out,
                                    instead of the correct spelling, where everybody can see that you can't
                                    spell is quite another. Claiming that this could be a deliberate variant
                                    is on par with the famous feline "whoops -- er, I meant to do that, yes I did."

                                    Amazon often lists books under multiple spellings of an author's name for
                                    the very reason that Trudy suggests - so that misspellers can find them.
                                    Fine, but not so fine when someone who can't spell Tolkien points to Amazon
                                    as proof that their misspelling is right. (This actually happened, as the
                                    person who was given that excuse can testify.)

                                    - David Bratman
                                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 14 6:51 AM
                                      Thanks for the info; and heaven knows, tech guys deserve some credit. (And
                                      I probably can't make a single spelling error now, since folks will pick up
                                      on it and give me a electronic Bronx cheer.) :]

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 14 9:13 AM
                                        At 09:51 AM 7/14/2004 -0400, Diane Joy Baker wrote:
                                        >Thanks for the info; and heaven knows, tech guys deserve some credit. (And
                                        >I probably can't make a single spelling error now, since folks will pick up
                                        >on it and give me a electronic Bronx cheer.) :]

                                        I don't expect individuals to proofread their e-mails. I do expect
                                        organizations to proofread their web pages.

                                        - DB