MythCon WAS RE: [mythsoc] Re: Impressed by the books AND the movie trilogy.

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12 9:32 AM
      >We encourage people to submit their papers to Mythlore after the
      >conference. But you should come -- many presenters sell copies of their
      >papers in the vendor room. Proceeds benefit the Starving Scholars fund,
      >which helps people travel to Mythcon. The program schedule is now
      >available at http://www.mythsoc.org/mc35schedule.pdf.
      >
      >Janet Brennan Croft

      I would be seriously tempted to try and go last-minute, but it's the week
      after we'll be away, and there is just no way I will be able to go anywhere.

      Maureen Thum's paper on female power in Tolkien sounds most interesting to
      me at this point. It is neat to see the agenda. Thanks so much !

      Funny, I guess I had rather the wrong idea of what "Bridges" would inspire
      in presenters. I thought there would be more on, how can I put this? the
      process of being taken out of the quotidian, or illumination thereof ...
      or connections of other sorts.

      Now, if only I could have a virtual experience of the dealer's room. A
      friend recently brought me back papers and advertising postcards and things
      from Origins '04. I WILL get to a good con in the next 24 months...
      somehow...

      thanks again,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13 2:58 PM
        Concerning the Dealer's Room. Well, may be it's a good thing you aren't
        coming to this year's Mythcon. The Michigan League won't let us have
        one, so there won't be much there. We will have the papers presenters
        give us, and the MythSoc Tables with our books and mathoms. But not much
        else.

        Next year is in England (see the British Tolkien Society for that one).
        The year after that looks like it may be in Seattle Washington (watch
        www.mythsoc.org for further information).

        We do tend to have several dealers who will travel to where ever we are
        to be in the MythCon Dealer's Room. Hopefully you can make it to a
        Mythcon that has a good dealer's room in the next few years!

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:

        >Now, if only I could have a virtual experience of the dealer's room. A
        >friend recently brought me back papers and advertising postcards and things
        >from Origins '04. I WILL get to a good con in the next 24 months...
        >somehow...

      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13 6:17 PM
          From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

          > Funny, I guess I had rather the wrong idea of what "Bridges" would inspire
          > in presenters. I thought there would be more on, how can I put this? the
          > process of being taken out of the quotidian, or illumination thereof ...
          > or connections of other sorts.

          Mythcon papers tend to be concentrated around the Inklings and the works of
          the guest(s) of honor. David and I asked Janet (papers coordinator) if
          anyone was writing papers on Gaiman's Sandman. At the time, no one had
          submitted a proposal, so we submitted abstracts. Gaiman spent so long on
          the series and it's what really made him famous. It seemed a shame for
          there not to be papers on the guest of honor's landmark. I see there are
          one or two other Gaiman papers, so that's good.

          And people may write on whatever interests them. With Buffy ending last
          year, I thought that was a good time to do a Buffy paper. Now I'm watching
          DVDs of Babylon 5, and I see how that could be a Mythcon paper, too.
          (Although I probably won't. I don't plan on going to Birmingham next year
          and it wouldn't be appropriate for that anyway.) At the San Diego Mythcon,
          there was a paper on Star Wars.

          Berni
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13 7:02 PM
            At 06:17 PM 7/13/2004 -0700, Berni wrote:

            >At the San Diego Mythcon, there was a paper on Star Wars.

            There was a whole panel on Star Wars. I was the "Emperor's Advocate".

            - David Bratman