Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1634--NEH Institute

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2004
      To answer Lizzie's question, the Tolkien Institute at Texas A&M, mentioned
      on Verlyn Flieger's web site, is a one-shot NEH-funded institute for
      secondary school teachers.
      (See
      http://www7.tamu-commerce.edu/tamuc-news/news-return.asp?offset=10&Item=1564%0D).

      I was contacted about this in the planning stages and asked if I was
      willing to participate, but didn't make the cut as a scholar (no wonder,
      with the likes of Verlyn in the pool--a heck of a fun person as well as a
      dazzling scholar, BTW). As I understood it at the time, the idea was to
      get Tolkien scholars and high school teachers together so the latter could
      get ideas and inspiration for teaching Tolkien at the secondary school
      level.

      Edith L. Crowe
      Art & Humanities Librarian & Coordinator of Graduate Instruction
      San Jose State University Library
      http://www.sjlibrary.org
      (408) 808-2037 | edith.crowe@...

      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
      http://www.mythsoc.org