RE: [mythsoc] Tolkien the Medievalist

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2004
      >PS What about The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader ?

      Well, I think Green Man would like to review this book. They'd conclude
      that medieval literature was really boring.

      - David Bratman >>

      Uhh.... OK. But it wasn't. You don't mean the Reader is boring... are
      you being funny?

      I hate to miss a joke here.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2004
        The joke was that Green Man seems to attract reviewers who are easily
        bored, since they boast of it in their reviews.

        The serious part was that I believe that _The Tolkien Fan's Medieval
        Reader_, because it uses old-fashioned translations that are no longer
        idiomatic, and because most of the pieces are poetry translated as prose
        (which I consider a mistake in literary, as opposed to scholarly,
        translation), is liable to bore readers who are easily bored.

        - David Bratman