Re: [mythsoc] Claims of expertise (was Re: Newest Greenman Review)

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2004
      Berni Phillips wrote:

      > "Best book I've read all year!" -- Marion Zimmer Bradley ---> seen on
      > so many books it's become a catch phrase in the Bratman household.

      From my days in the publishing industry I also recall that Anne
      McCaffrey was extremely generous in the handing out of encomiums
      to put on book covers.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 7, 2004
        From: "Jack" <jack@...>

        > David, are you a fiddler? Most fiddlers including myself do not find sheet
        > music all that exciting. If we did, than such tunes as Simon Jeffe's
        'Music
        > for a Found Harmonium' would never ahve come to be considered traditional
        > by Irish musicians!

        David's not but I am. But you're talking about traditional folk music and
        _The Road Goes Ever On_ is *art song*, a whole other genre of music.

        It's more like Shubert -- you must look at the original source, both text
        and music. See how the composer set it. In art song, the piano and voice
        are partners -- Schubert was really the first to make them equal partners in
        his lieder. Listen to his "Gretchen am Spinnrade" and you can hear the
        piano filling in the emotional moods in places where the text has broken.
        After the singer sings about his kiss, the spinning wheel accompaniment of
        the piano stops and makes a few tentative starts, unable to get back to
        business, as it were. After a few measures, both singer and piano are back
        on the main theme. This is the tradition which Swann is working in.

        Berni

        P.S. "Erlkoenig" is very mythopoeic, too.
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 7, 2004
          From: "Michael Martinez" <Michaelm@...>

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 7, 2004
            A wonderful writer and scholar on the Inklings. The work I know of hers
            best is *Splintered Light: Logos and Light in Tolkien's World.* It's
            published by Eerdman's in Grand Rapids, MI. An Amazon search may net you
            some of her later work.