Susan Cooper

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2000
      I did read all of "From the Grail to the Globe" at
      www.booksunlimited.co.uk/Print/0,3858,3953377,00.html and I have just one
      little gripe, which happens to be with the opening sentence. "Steeped in
      Arthurian legend and Celtic history, the five interlocking novels that make
      up Susan Cooper's classic fantasy sequence The Dark is Rising represent a
      powerful reworking of the quest for the Holy Grail."

      I have read this series several times since first finding it in junior high,
      probably shortly after it came out. I have also read her book Seaward, which
      I would read again.

      Rambling on to my point, my point is that I didn't consider it a Grail quest.
      Mostly I like Cooper, and she has influenced my imagination a Lot, but there
      is a passage when they (Will and some others) are on church ground yet go, I
      don't know the best way to say it, beyond the church power, which to me, put
      the books outside the Grail tradition. If the books are not in the attic I
      will see if I can find the quote.

      (digging for them I also found George MacDonald's Evenor, is it any good?)

      Okay, it's in the book The Dark Is Rising, in the chapter "Christmas Day." I
      don't know what to think, now. I'm not going to retype the passage here.
      Looking for it, I was again struck with how much of the Anglican church IS in
      the series, it was all just familiar to me in the past, being an Episcopalian
      myself, but that's just coincidence. So, there is much of the church in
      there and the passage putting them beyond the church. So now I will have to
      think about it some more. Just what I needed. ggg

      Lizzie