Re: [mythsoc] Claims of expertise (was Re: Newest Greenman Review)

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5, 2004
      Berni Phillips wrote:

      > "Best book I've read all year!" -- Marion Zimmer Bradley ---> seen on
      > so many books it's become a catch phrase in the Bratman household.

      From my days in the publishing industry I also recall that Anne
      McCaffrey was extremely generous in the handing out of encomiums
      to put on book covers.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 7, 2004
        From: "David Bratman" <dbratman@...>

        > And Jack Merry, reviewer of Swann's _The Road Goes Ever On_, is bored
        > by sheet music. Spare me from the easily bored, or at least spare me from
        > reviews about how easily bored they get.

        I don't know who this Jack Merry is (I read the review, too), but if he's
        bored by sheet music, he's no musician! I would much rather have a copy of
        the sheet music than recorded music. I find it quite helpful not to have
        someone else's interpretation (many of which I dislike anyway) of music. I
        much prefer the source.

        Berni
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 7, 2004
          From: "Jack" <jack@...>

          > David, are you a fiddler? Most fiddlers including myself do not find sheet
          > music all that exciting. If we did, than such tunes as Simon Jeffe's
          'Music
          > for a Found Harmonium' would never ahve come to be considered traditional
          > by Irish musicians!

          David's not but I am. But you're talking about traditional folk music and
          _The Road Goes Ever On_ is *art song*, a whole other genre of music.

          It's more like Shubert -- you must look at the original source, both text
          and music. See how the composer set it. In art song, the piano and voice
          are partners -- Schubert was really the first to make them equal partners in
          his lieder. Listen to his "Gretchen am Spinnrade" and you can hear the
          piano filling in the emotional moods in places where the text has broken.
          After the singer sings about his kiss, the spinning wheel accompaniment of
          the piano stops and makes a few tentative starts, unable to get back to
          business, as it were. After a few measures, both singer and piano are back
          on the main theme. This is the tradition which Swann is working in.

          Berni

          P.S. "Erlkoenig" is very mythopoeic, too.
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 7, 2004
            From: "Michael Martinez" <Michaelm@...>

          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 7, 2004
              A wonderful writer and scholar on the Inklings. The work I know of hers
              best is *Splintered Light: Logos and Light in Tolkien's World.* It's
              published by Eerdman's in Grand Rapids, MI. An Amazon search may net you
              some of her later work.