Re: [mythsoc] Claims of expertise (was Re: Newest Greenman Review)

  • Margaret Dean
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 5 11:29 AM
      Berni Phillips wrote:

      > "Best book I've read all year!" -- Marion Zimmer Bradley ---> seen on
      > so many books it's become a catch phrase in the Bratman household.

      From my days in the publishing industry I also recall that Anne
      McCaffrey was extremely generous in the handing out of encomiums
      to put on book covers.

      --Margaret Dean
      <margdean@...>
    • Michael Martinez
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 7 4:15 PM
        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Wynne <pwynne@g...> wrote:
        > On Jul 7, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Jack wrote, assessing the value of
        > _The Road Goes Ever On_:
        >
        > > Not everything Tolkien wrote is interesting. This work is a bit of a
        > > minor
        > > fluff.
        >
        > The first sentence is a matter of taste; the latter sentence is a bit
        > of major nonsense.
        >
        > The scholarly value of Tolkien's linguistic commentaries on
        > _Namárië_ and _A Elbereth Gilthoniel_ included at the end
        > of RGEO is well known to anybody who has delved into the
        > serious study of Tolkien's invented languages. There is much
        > information here that is found nowhere else, and RGEO is a
        > major text that is regularly cited in linguistic analyses. I should
        > know; I've written a lot of them myself.

        It is a very good resource for the study of the mythological world
        itself, not simply the linguistics. There are historical and cultural
        details in this book which are found nowhere else.

        So, I would strongly agree that THE ROAD GOES EVER ON is anything but
        fluff.
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 7 6:01 PM
          From: "David Bratman" <dbratman@...>

          > And Jack Merry, reviewer of Swann's _The Road Goes Ever On_, is bored
          > by sheet music. Spare me from the easily bored, or at least spare me from
          > reviews about how easily bored they get.

          I don't know who this Jack Merry is (I read the review, too), but if he's
          bored by sheet music, he's no musician! I would much rather have a copy of
          the sheet music than recorded music. I find it quite helpful not to have
          someone else's interpretation (many of which I dislike anyway) of music. I
          much prefer the source.

          Berni
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 7 6:10 PM
            From: "Jack" <jack@...>

            > David, are you a fiddler? Most fiddlers including myself do not find sheet
            > music all that exciting. If we did, than such tunes as Simon Jeffe's
            'Music
            > for a Found Harmonium' would never ahve come to be considered traditional
            > by Irish musicians!

            David's not but I am. But you're talking about traditional folk music and
            _The Road Goes Ever On_ is *art song*, a whole other genre of music.

            It's more like Shubert -- you must look at the original source, both text
            and music. See how the composer set it. In art song, the piano and voice
            are partners -- Schubert was really the first to make them equal partners in
            his lieder. Listen to his "Gretchen am Spinnrade" and you can hear the
            piano filling in the emotional moods in places where the text has broken.
            After the singer sings about his kiss, the spinning wheel accompaniment of
            the piano stops and makes a few tentative starts, unable to get back to
            business, as it were. After a few measures, both singer and piano are back
            on the main theme. This is the tradition which Swann is working in.

            Berni

            P.S. "Erlkoenig" is very mythopoeic, too.
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 7 6:19 PM
              From: "Michael Martinez" <Michaelm@...>

            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 7 6:35 PM
                A wonderful writer and scholar on the Inklings. The work I know of hers
                best is *Splintered Light: Logos and Light in Tolkien's World.* It's
                published by Eerdman's in Grand Rapids, MI. An Amazon search may net you
                some of her later work.