RE: [mythsoc] Tolkien the Medievalist

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7 12:56 PM
      << (Lizzie - Verlyn Flieger is a professor at the University of Maryland and
      one of the best scholars on Tolkien around. Her books are not as easy a
      read as Tom Shippey's, but once you've gotten through _Splintered Light_ or
      _A Question of Time_, you've learned a lot about Tolkien. Of the two
      books, the former is more basic in its subject & approach, but the latter
      is the more amazing reading.)

      - David Bratman >>

      Thank you, Mr. B. What with the "sightings" and all, I have been
      wondering. I'll add them to my reading list.

      best,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7 2:08 PM
        At 03:59 PM 7/7/2004 -0400, Lizzie wrote:
        >PS What about The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader ?

        Well, I think Green Man would like to review this book. They'd conclude
        that medieval literature was really boring.

        - David Bratman
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8 5:24 AM
          >PS What about The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader ?

          Well, I think Green Man would like to review this book. They'd conclude
          that medieval literature was really boring.

          - David Bratman >>

          Uhh.... OK. But it wasn't. You don't mean the Reader is boring... are
          you being funny?

          I hate to miss a joke here.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8 3:23 PM
            The joke was that Green Man seems to attract reviewers who are easily
            bored, since they boast of it in their reviews.

            The serious part was that I believe that _The Tolkien Fan's Medieval
            Reader_, because it uses old-fashioned translations that are no longer
            idiomatic, and because most of the pieces are poetry translated as prose
            (which I consider a mistake in literary, as opposed to scholarly,
            translation), is liable to bore readers who are easily bored.

            - David Bratman