RE: [mythsoc] Tolkien the Medievalist

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
      << (Lizzie - Verlyn Flieger is a professor at the University of Maryland and
      one of the best scholars on Tolkien around. Her books are not as easy a
      read as Tom Shippey's, but once you've gotten through _Splintered Light_ or
      _A Question of Time_, you've learned a lot about Tolkien. Of the two
      books, the former is more basic in its subject & approach, but the latter
      is the more amazing reading.)

      - David Bratman >>

      Thank you, Mr. B. What with the "sightings" and all, I have been
      wondering. I'll add them to my reading list.

      best,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
        PS What about The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader ?

        thanks,

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
          Well, since I don't have any sticky notes stuck in the Faraci or Lazo
          essays, and only one in the notes for the Sinex essay (and that to a
          reference to someone else's article), they mustn't have made much
          impression on me, either... And perhaps it was my unfamiliarity with
          medieval literature which made the Donovan essay such a stand-out to me
          -- those who already know a lot about the valkyrie image would probably
          find it kind of obvious. But I still like it.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 7, 2004
            At 03:59 PM 7/7/2004 -0400, Lizzie wrote:
            >PS What about The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader ?

            Well, I think Green Man would like to review this book. They'd conclude
            that medieval literature was really boring.

            - David Bratman
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8, 2004
              >PS What about The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader ?

              Well, I think Green Man would like to review this book. They'd conclude
              that medieval literature was really boring.

              - David Bratman >>

              Uhh.... OK. But it wasn't. You don't mean the Reader is boring... are
              you being funny?

              I hate to miss a joke here.

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 8, 2004
                The joke was that Green Man seems to attract reviewers who are easily
                bored, since they boast of it in their reviews.

                The serious part was that I believe that _The Tolkien Fan's Medieval
                Reader_, because it uses old-fashioned translations that are no longer
                idiomatic, and because most of the pieces are poetry translated as prose
                (which I consider a mistake in literary, as opposed to scholarly,
                translation), is liable to bore readers who are easily bored.

                - David Bratman