RE: [mythsoc] Following Gandalf, and

  • Larry Swain
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2004
      > *** Which ones didn't you like? My favorite was Leslie Donovan's "The
      > Valkyrie Reflex", which is already being cited in one of the essays on
      > Jackson's depictions of the female characters for the _Tolkien on Film_
      > book. I agree on the Fleiger (both of them) and Chism pieces. I also
      > liked Michael Maher's essay on Marian imagery in the depiction of
      > Galadriel, though it seems to me I have seen some of this material
      > elsewhere.
      >
      > But I still liked _Following Gandalf_ better as a whole, though that may
      > be because I am just personally more interested in Tolkien's thoughts on
      > war and on free will than in his medieval roots.
      >
      > And I have to agree with the criticisms of the review of _Artist and
      > Illustrator_. It seemed like the reviewer read a different book from
      > the one I have found so interesting and useful!
      >
      > Janet Brennan Croft

      I haven't read the book; I heard most of these papers delivered at Kalamazoo a few years back. I have to say that my assessment is much like David's, though I don't know which ones he didn't like and would be curious.

      Having said that, I have to say that unless the Valkyrie article has been substantially revised in the printed version, I can not recommend it. At the time that I heard it read, I thought it a very poorly argued piece, no matter how much others are citing it. Now I'll have to get the book and give it a read.

      I was delighted to see that Nagy's article made it; at the time he was a graduate student in Hungary. I know he has done subsequent work on Tolkien in Chance's Kalamazoo sessions too, so hopefully we'll be seeing more from him in print in the near future.

      Larry Swain

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.