RE: [mythsoc] Following Gandalf, and

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 7, 2004
      David Bratman wrote:

      >On the other hand, I found many single essays in _Tolkien the
      >Medievalist_ more valuable than the whole of _Following Gandalf_.

      Many of them, yes, but not all. Which ones did you like? I gave top
      rankings to Verlyn Flieger (of course), Richard C. West, and two
      scholars whose work I hadn't known, Gergely Nagy and Christine Chism.

      On the other hand there were at least two essays in the book I thought
      utterly incompetent.

      *** Which ones didn't you like? My favorite was Leslie Donovan's "The
      Valkyrie Reflex", which is already being cited in one of the essays on
      Jackson's depictions of the female characters for the _Tolkien on Film_
      book. I agree on the Fleiger (both of them) and Chism pieces. I also
      liked Michael Maher's essay on Marian imagery in the depiction of
      Galadriel, though it seems to me I have seen some of this material
      elsewhere.

      But I still liked _Following Gandalf_ better as a whole, though that may
      be because I am just personally more interested in Tolkien's thoughts on
      war and on free will than in his medieval roots.

      And I have to agree with the criticisms of the review of _Artist and
      Illustrator_. It seemed like the reviewer read a different book from
      the one I have found so interesting and useful!

      Janet Brennan Croft
    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2004
        > *** Which ones didn't you like? My favorite was Leslie Donovan's "The
        > Valkyrie Reflex", which is already being cited in one of the essays on
        > Jackson's depictions of the female characters for the _Tolkien on Film_
        > book. I agree on the Fleiger (both of them) and Chism pieces. I also
        > liked Michael Maher's essay on Marian imagery in the depiction of
        > Galadriel, though it seems to me I have seen some of this material
        > elsewhere.
        >
        > But I still liked _Following Gandalf_ better as a whole, though that may
        > be because I am just personally more interested in Tolkien's thoughts on
        > war and on free will than in his medieval roots.
        >
        > And I have to agree with the criticisms of the review of _Artist and
        > Illustrator_. It seemed like the reviewer read a different book from
        > the one I have found so interesting and useful!
        >
        > Janet Brennan Croft

        I haven't read the book; I heard most of these papers delivered at Kalamazoo a few years back. I have to say that my assessment is much like David's, though I don't know which ones he didn't like and would be curious.

        Having said that, I have to say that unless the Valkyrie article has been substantially revised in the printed version, I can not recommend it. At the time that I heard it read, I thought it a very poorly argued piece, no matter how much others are citing it. Now I'll have to get the book and give it a read.

        I was delighted to see that Nagy's article made it; at the time he was a graduate student in Hungary. I know he has done subsequent work on Tolkien in Chance's Kalamazoo sessions too, so hopefully we'll be seeing more from him in print in the near future.

        Larry Swain

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.