Re: [mythsoc] Impressed by the books AND the movie trilogy.

    Message 1 of 46 , Jul 7, 2004
      At 03:08 PM 7/7/2004 +0000, Leelan Lampkins wrote:

      some thoughtful remarks on Jackson's films.

      It's true: there's a lot in Jackson's films that is very carefully
      reproduced from the books - mostly in the visuals, but in some cases in the
      dialogue. Leelan notes that Galadriel's opening narration echoes words
      spoken in the book by Treebeard near the end. There's more: Galadriel in
      Lorien uses some of the thoughts and words that in the book are Elrond's,
      for instance. And don't forget Gandalf and Frodo's conversation about
      Gollum, moved by Jackson from Bag End to Moria.

      But the more Jackson shows himself capable of faithfulness and
      understanding of Tolkien, the more tragic, incomprehensible, and above all
      unnecessary are his extreme departures, of which the imposters calling
      themselves "Faramir" and "Denethor" are merely the most painfully obvious
      examples.

      If he can come so close, how can he suddenly turn and be so far away?

      For a Tolkien lover, watching Jackson's films is like listening to a
      severely warped copy of your favorite record (for those of us old enough to
      remember vinyl records). The music is all there, but it's horribly wrong;
      if it weren't so beautiful it wouldn't be so painful to hear.

      On the subject of the "seeing the elephant" joke: I'm not sure if Tolkien
      intended a specific reference to that line. But the line "seeing the
      elephant" is an American expression dating back to before the Civil War.
      It supposedly comes from a story about a farmer who went into town to do
      some business and see the circus, in days when circuses were rare. He
      didn't get his business done, but at least, he says proudly, "I saw the
      elephant!"

      - David Bratman
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 46 of 46 , Jul 13, 2004
        From: "Ginger McElwee" <gingermc@...>

        >I am looking forward to Mythcon because I have been reading Tolkien and
        >other fantasy since I was in high school is the 60's, and I think this
        >will be the first time I have ever been able to meet with other people
        >who share my passion. For the same reason I enjoy even the
        >disagreements you have with each other. I appreciate the fact that
        >someone else shares my interests enough to want to talk about them.

        Hey, great! I'll try to remember to look you up at Mythcon. They moved
        our papers (mine and David Bratman's) from Monday morning to Friday
        afternoon so we'll be there early for sure.

        Berni