Out of lurkdom into the light

  • Pat Witham
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
      Hi all.

      Some of you know me because I used to attend Mythcons
      regularly and go to Khazad-dum meetings. I've been out of
      touch for awhile now (a lot to do with transportation
      difficulties) but lurking on the list. I usually read the
      mail days after an argument and/or discussion is over.

      About me: I work at the local public library and am close to
      retirement. My favorite authors are Dorothy Dunnett, JRR
      Tolkien, Patricia McKillip, Diana Wynne Jones, and Dorothy
      Sayers. I'm not that fond of Harry Potter. As many of you
      are, I'm ambivalent about Peter Jackson's version of Middle
      Earth. I didn't hate it and there are things I liked, mostly
      to do with set design. I loved Rohan and Hobbiton, for
      example. My favorite scene in the trilogy was Gandalf's
      battle with the Balrog. Hated the distorted
      characterizations of Faramir, Denethor, and Frodo.

      So here I am announcing my presence only because I want
      something. <g>

      I picked up years ago a jigsaw puzzle of JRR Tolkien I'm
      getting rid of. Does anyone on the list want it before I
      take it to Goodwill?

      Pat Witham (catspaw@...)

      P.S. Hi David, Bernie, and Lisa
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
        Hello, Pat - nice to see you here.

        At 12:44 PM 7/3/2004 -0700, Pat Witham wrote:

        >My favorite authors are Dorothy Dunnett, JRR
        >Tolkien, Patricia McKillip, Diana Wynne Jones, and Dorothy
        >Sayers.

        Four of those five are favorites of mine also (I don't much care for
        Dunnett), and you're responsible for pointing me to my favorite book by one
        of them, DWJ's _Fire and Hemlock_.

        >I picked up years ago a jigsaw puzzle of JRR Tolkien I'm
        >getting rid of. Does anyone on the list want it before I
        >take it to Goodwill?

        The Mythcon Auction wants it. If you're not going, I can take it: let's
        arrange to meet. If you're not coming up my way, I might be going down yours.

        - David Bratman
      • Pat Witham
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
          That sound great, David. Would it be OK if I mail it? I
          don't have a functioning car for now?

          Sponsor --------------------~-->

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2004
            Welcome to the list! Hope you'll come back from lurkdom more often. Would
            love to have some insights on your fave authors on list.

            Off-list I also invite you to join Butterbur's Woodshed; it's a good time,
            as we'll be reading William Morris for September, and have some other good
            authors on tap, like Caroline Stevermer, Guy Gavriel Kay and Gene Wolfe.
            It's possible to participate, even if you don't have a car. ---djb (A
            Non-driver; content editor for Butterbur's Woodshed, the ongoing Mythopoeic
            Society APA for Adult Fantasy).

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • Croft, Janet B.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
              Hey, see if there's someone near you on the list who's going to Mythcon
              -- it can be auctioned at the Society Auction!

              Janet (one of the other librarians...)

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
                Well, that goes to show one should read ALL email before answering
                anything...

                Janet