Re: [mythsoc] If you're up to =here= with movie special effects...

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
      Wendell has a point, but some of us are fantasy geeks rather than movie geeks, so our viewing tends to be slanted that way.

      I don't mind impossible feats in movies like SPIDERMAN, because after all, the source comic books =always= had impossible feats in them. But it IS interesting to think of our heroes' arms being ripped right off as they swing about their world... like that piece somebody wrote on "the physics of STAR TREK."

      What bores me most of all in SFX is ridiculously impractical affairs like those "battle machines" in STAR WARS staggering around on their long legs, and the endless computer-generated "armies" that make me lose all interest in battles - for some reason, even though battles filmed with only a few hundred "meat" extras are just as unreal, I can get more involved.

      Oh, and speaking of stupid writing, I generally loved INDEPENDENCE DAY, and Will Smith not least. But when he gets into a totally alien spaceship and jimmies their totally alien computer???? GMAB!!!! Suspension of disbelief leapt right out the window.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
        Oh, and speaking of stupid writing, I generally loved INDEPENDENCE DAY, and
        Will Smith not least. But when he gets into a totally alien spaceship and
        jimmies their totally alien computer???? GMAB!!!! Suspension of disbelief
        leapt right out the window.>>

        Oh, Diamond, I missed that part. I only saw a chunk out of the middle. I
        liked "Welcome to Earth." POW.

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2004
          You know two things about that. First If you watch the extended DVD. there
          is a thirty second scene in which he explains that he reverse engineered the
          aliens program using the ship so the computer wasn't communicting, he was
          using the computer to run the ships systems. I explained it badly but the
          story makes more sense if you watch it. Second, I have a group of about
          nine cllose friends I saw that movie with, almost all of which are PC users.
          We have one person that uses an Apple Computer. We spent the rest of the
          summer joking with him by saying we always suspected the Apple was really
          the Vanguard of ALien invaders, and now we knew
          Oh, and speaking of stupid writing, I generally loved INDEPENDENCE DAY,
          and
          Will Smith not least. But when he gets into a totally alien spaceship and
          jimmies their totally alien computer???? GMAB!!!! Suspension of disbelief
          leapt right out the window.>>

          Oh, Diamond, I missed that part. I only saw a chunk out of the middle. I
          liked "Welcome to Earth." POW.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...