RE: [mythsoc] If you're up to =here= with movie special effects...

  • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 29, 2004
      >I, Robot_ will probably be junk because they threw out the
      > book and just made up a plot having nothing to do with Asimov's ideas.

      [darancgrissom@...]
      I am both dreading and looking forward to I, Robot. Yes they threw out
      the plot to one of the seminal works of science fiction in favor of an
      aglomaration of all three of his books in that particular world. With good
      deal of stuff made up to boot. But I like Will Smith action movies. He's a
      good actor, ALi proved that even to people who can't get past an action
      movie plot. I liked Independance Day, I liked Men in Black.

      In any case I have never been able to see a "good" movie in the theatre.
      When I saw Signs in the theatre there were people talking through the whole
      movie. When I saw Troy there was a large group of pre-teen girls sitting up
      front who screamed, loudly, everytime Orlando Bloom was on screen. When I
      saw bwoling for Columbine I went to the theatre at noon on a Tuesday, and
      there was still an old drunk guy yelling at the screen. He and I were the
      only two people in the theatre. I see a movie every Friday, to relax. I
      like explosions, I like unbelievable feats of strength and knowing that the
      hero will win. I saw Chronicles of Riddick, and it wasn't bad. It was
      Connan in space and I knew how it would end five minutes after it started,
      but the sets were interesting and Il like the semi witty dialouge which
      seems to follow Vin around from movie to movie. For good movies with less
      production costs I have patience and Net Flix.

      > " I'm a little dubious about this as a complaint, because cartoons have
      been
      >doing exactly that for decades. Is that OK because nobody expects
      cartoons
      >to be anything other than presentations of the physically impossible? If
      >so, why can't action films develop the same protocols?"

      Asian movies have had those protocols for many years. Korean and Japanese
      action films are generally based on the abillities which defy the laws of
      physics. Chrouching Tigar Hidden Dragon is a good example because most
      Americans know it, but it is indicative of the general class of Asian Actio
      Movies

    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
        Wendell has a point, but some of us are fantasy geeks rather than movie geeks, so our viewing tends to be slanted that way.

        I don't mind impossible feats in movies like SPIDERMAN, because after all, the source comic books =always= had impossible feats in them. But it IS interesting to think of our heroes' arms being ripped right off as they swing about their world... like that piece somebody wrote on "the physics of STAR TREK."

        What bores me most of all in SFX is ridiculously impractical affairs like those "battle machines" in STAR WARS staggering around on their long legs, and the endless computer-generated "armies" that make me lose all interest in battles - for some reason, even though battles filmed with only a few hundred "meat" extras are just as unreal, I can get more involved.

        Oh, and speaking of stupid writing, I generally loved INDEPENDENCE DAY, and Will Smith not least. But when he gets into a totally alien spaceship and jimmies their totally alien computer???? GMAB!!!! Suspension of disbelief leapt right out the window.

        Diamond Proudbrook

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
          Oh, and speaking of stupid writing, I generally loved INDEPENDENCE DAY, and
          Will Smith not least. But when he gets into a totally alien spaceship and
          jimmies their totally alien computer???? GMAB!!!! Suspension of disbelief
          leapt right out the window.>>

          Oh, Diamond, I missed that part. I only saw a chunk out of the middle. I
          liked "Welcome to Earth." POW.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • darancgrissom@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2004
            You know two things about that. First If you watch the extended DVD. there
            is a thirty second scene in which he explains that he reverse engineered the
            aliens program using the ship so the computer wasn't communicting, he was
            using the computer to run the ships systems. I explained it badly but the
            story makes more sense if you watch it. Second, I have a group of about
            nine cllose friends I saw that movie with, almost all of which are PC users.
            We have one person that uses an Apple Computer. We spent the rest of the
            summer joking with him by saying we always suspected the Apple was really
            the Vanguard of ALien invaders, and now we knew
            Oh, and speaking of stupid writing, I generally loved INDEPENDENCE DAY,
            and
            Will Smith not least. But when he gets into a totally alien spaceship and
            jimmies their totally alien computer???? GMAB!!!! Suspension of disbelief
            leapt right out the window.>>

            Oh, Diamond, I missed that part. I only saw a chunk out of the middle. I
            liked "Welcome to Earth." POW.

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...