Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1621

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2004
      Wendell Wagner wrote:

      >This is why, assuming that you don't have an unlimited amount of
      time, that you have to >rely on reviews or friends' suggestions or
      something to winnow down the number of films >you see.

      Well, let me take this opportunity to throw in a shameless plug for my
      husband's website: http://www.metacritic.com For each movie that
      comes out (and DVD, music album and video game) they compile all the
      major reviews, put them together on a page for the movie and assign it
      a score from 1-100. The scores are a good starting point ... for
      example if something has a 12, I don't even bother with it further
      because it is crap. If something scores above 50 then I usually go and
      look at the movie's page and see what the reviews say. It's definitely
      a time saver and very helpful, especially after you learn how to form
      your own opinions based on what you can read about the film.

      And, coming soon, a books section! I am really excited about that and
      am working hard to help them implement it.

      Okay, I'll end my ad now and promise that next time I write it will be
      about mythic questions.