Re: [mythsoc] more on the nature of Mythopoeia, sort of

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
      In a message dated 6/28/2004 8:56:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      > I'm just a decade behind in my reading.

      I think it should be recognized that we're all behind in our reading. It's
      easy to get the impression that because we can pontificate on a variety of
      books that we're up to date on all the fantasy that comes out each year. I
      suspect that only a few of us even make an attempt to stay up with most current
      fantasy. I suspect that most of us are reading only a few recent favorite authors
      and are still trying to catch up with all the older fantasy that we never got
      around to reading.

    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
        So many books, so little time. Where is Hermione's Time Turner when we
        need it? says the lady who still hasn't read past book 3 of the Harry
        Potter series (Got to get it done before the movie come out!). Also
        have this pile of Neil Gaiman books...

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
          Not to diminish this theme (which is intriguing), but presumably, heroes
          must be healthy enough to survive all those adventures. It's difficult to
          believe that someone who needs to climb mountains and walk for miles to
          accomplish something has a physical weakness. Of course, if the person
          manages to do it despite a weakness, they're all the more heroic. Which is
          one factor that makes the Special Olympics and other events like them so
          inspiring. ---djb [the One Eyed Jane of North Bend]