Re: more on the nature of Mythopoeia, sort of

  • ravenduongladash
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2004
      > > > it's up to us villagers to fight off the hordes of cookies and
      french
      > > > fries and pepperoni pizzas on our own because the government
      seems to
      > > > be arming the hordes.
      > >
      > > Oh, right, it's the GOVERNMENT that forces people eat junk food!
      And
      > > here I thought it was the Devil....
      >
      > And the difference is....?

      It could be suggested that the Government is in fact *more* evil than
      the Devil :-)

      caio
      Graeme
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
        Very nice, JT, thank you.

        It does seem that athletes (like actor types) tend to, hmm, rise beyond
        their level of competence? There is like this grey area between doing what
        is right and sharing information... and getting too "political." Perhaps
        once anyone gets famous, it gets ten times harder to do their good work.
        The late Gayle Olinekova, who was an athlete, then wrote some books on
        fitness, became a chiropractor, then died of breast cancer, is my favorite
        fitness guru type. She was never famous enough to have every little foible
        magnified, but did well enough for her books to reach at least some other
        people. Perhaps it is the local heroes, the Scout leaders and youth group
        leaders, reading teachers and such, that we should consider. I bet they
        have been treated in books too. I'm just a decade behind in my reading.
        And I know this doesn't sound as mythopoeic as a dreaming forest, but I
        think that health really is our modern mythic setting, in a way.

        I think you are onto something with the survival part, and I think that has
        been treated in a few books that I've seen advertised, but I don't know how
        well. I don't know what has been done with cancer. Good post. Thanks.

        Keep it coming, gang, and nobody else is making us eat those french fries,

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
          In a message dated 6/28/2004 8:56:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > I'm just a decade behind in my reading.

          I think it should be recognized that we're all behind in our reading. It's
          easy to get the impression that because we can pontificate on a variety of
          books that we're up to date on all the fantasy that comes out each year. I
          suspect that only a few of us even make an attempt to stay up with most current
          fantasy. I suspect that most of us are reading only a few recent favorite authors
          and are still trying to catch up with all the older fantasy that we never got
          around to reading.

        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
            So many books, so little time. Where is Hermione's Time Turner when we
            need it? says the lady who still hasn't read past book 3 of the Harry
            Potter series (Got to get it done before the movie come out!). Also
            have this pile of Neil Gaiman books...

            Mythically yours,
            Lisa

          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
              Not to diminish this theme (which is intriguing), but presumably, heroes
              must be healthy enough to survive all those adventures. It's difficult to
              believe that someone who needs to climb mountains and walk for miles to
              accomplish something has a physical weakness. Of course, if the person
              manages to do it despite a weakness, they're all the more heroic. Which is
              one factor that makes the Special Olympics and other events like them so
              inspiring. ---djb [the One Eyed Jane of North Bend]

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail2web.com/ .