Re: [mythsoc] more on the nature of Mythopoeia, sort of

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2004
      From: "Carl F. Hostetter" <Aelfwine@...>

      > On Jun 27, 2004, at 12:29 PM, JTHeyman@... wrote:
      >
      > > it's up to us villagers to fight off the hordes of cookies and french
      > > fries and pepperoni pizzas on our own because the government seems to
      > > be arming the hordes.
      >
      > Oh, right, it's the GOVERNMENT that forces people eat junk food! And
      > here I thought it was the Devil....

      And the difference is....?

      Berni
    • ravenduongladash
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 27, 2004
        > > > it's up to us villagers to fight off the hordes of cookies and
        french
        > > > fries and pepperoni pizzas on our own because the government
        seems to
        > > > be arming the hordes.
        > >
        > > Oh, right, it's the GOVERNMENT that forces people eat junk food!
        And
        > > here I thought it was the Devil....
        >
        > And the difference is....?

        It could be suggested that the Government is in fact *more* evil than
        the Devil :-)

        caio
        Graeme
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
          Very nice, JT, thank you.

          It does seem that athletes (like actor types) tend to, hmm, rise beyond
          their level of competence? There is like this grey area between doing what
          is right and sharing information... and getting too "political." Perhaps
          once anyone gets famous, it gets ten times harder to do their good work.
          The late Gayle Olinekova, who was an athlete, then wrote some books on
          fitness, became a chiropractor, then died of breast cancer, is my favorite
          fitness guru type. She was never famous enough to have every little foible
          magnified, but did well enough for her books to reach at least some other
          people. Perhaps it is the local heroes, the Scout leaders and youth group
          leaders, reading teachers and such, that we should consider. I bet they
          have been treated in books too. I'm just a decade behind in my reading.
          And I know this doesn't sound as mythopoeic as a dreaming forest, but I
          think that health really is our modern mythic setting, in a way.

          I think you are onto something with the survival part, and I think that has
          been treated in a few books that I've seen advertised, but I don't know how
          well. I don't know what has been done with cancer. Good post. Thanks.

          Keep it coming, gang, and nobody else is making us eat those french fries,

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
            In a message dated 6/28/2004 8:56:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            lizziewriter@... writes:

            > I'm just a decade behind in my reading.

            I think it should be recognized that we're all behind in our reading. It's
            easy to get the impression that because we can pontificate on a variety of
            books that we're up to date on all the fantasy that comes out each year. I
            suspect that only a few of us even make an attempt to stay up with most current
            fantasy. I suspect that most of us are reading only a few recent favorite authors
            and are still trying to catch up with all the older fantasy that we never got
            around to reading.

          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 28, 2004
              So many books, so little time. Where is Hermione's Time Turner when we
              need it? says the lady who still hasn't read past book 3 of the Harry
              Potter series (Got to get it done before the movie come out!). Also
              have this pile of Neil Gaiman books...

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa

            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 30, 2004
                Not to diminish this theme (which is intriguing), but presumably, heroes
                must be healthy enough to survive all those adventures. It's difficult to
                believe that someone who needs to climb mountains and walk for miles to
                accomplish something has a physical weakness. Of course, if the person
                manages to do it despite a weakness, they're all the more heroic. Which is
                one factor that makes the Special Olympics and other events like them so
                inspiring. ---djb [the One Eyed Jane of North Bend]

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail2web.com/ .