Dodds on Williams ?

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2004
      Not since stumbling upon the yellow Erdman's volume of Williams Arthuriad,
      with guiding essays by Lewis, have I seen something so comprehensive. At
      some point, though, I picked up this book

      Arthurian Poets:
      Charles Williams
      edited and with an introduction by David Llewellyn Dodds
      The Boyden Press

      I keep meaning to read it. In a way, that little yellow book was a
      life-altering experience. It almost makes me leery of seeming to attempt
      to repeat the experience. But one would think a little balance is not a
      bad thing. And it's been many, many years, in any case...

      thanks,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2004
        The Dodds edition of Williams's poetry is less interpretive than the
        "yellow book" (the Eerdmans edition with the Lewis commentary), but it has
        much more on the history of Williams's writing of the poems, including a
        large selection of previously unpublished work.

        On the basis of this fine work of scholarship, Dodds was invited to be
        Scholar Guest of Honor at Mythcon in 2001, where he turned out to be a fine
        speaker and a good participant, even reading a part in "The Masque of the
        Manuscript".

        - David Bratman

        At 07:37 PM 6/26/2004 -0400, Elizabeth Apgar Triano wrote:
        >Not since stumbling upon the yellow Erdman's volume of Williams Arthuriad,
        >with guiding essays by Lewis, have I seen something so comprehensive. At
        >some point, though, I picked up this book
        >
        >Arthurian Poets:
        >Charles Williams
        >edited and with an introduction by David Llewellyn Dodds
        >The Boyden Press
        >
        >I keep meaning to read it. In a way, that little yellow book was a
        >life-altering experience. It almost makes me leery of seeming to attempt
        >to repeat the experience. But one would think a little balance is not a
        >bad thing. And it's been many, many years, in any case...
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2004
          From: "David Bratman" <dbratman@...>

          > On the basis of this fine work of scholarship, Dodds was invited to be
          > Scholar Guest of Honor at Mythcon in 2001, where he turned out to be a
          fine
          > speaker and a good participant, even reading a part in "The Masque of the
          > Manuscript".

          Not to mention a swell clog dancer!

          Berni
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 28, 2004
            Thank you, Kevin, for that correction. My typo.

            David B. said:

            >The Dodds edition of Williams's poetry is less interpretive than the
            >"yellow book" (the Eerdmans edition with the Lewis commentary), but it has
            >much more on the history of Williams's writing of the poems, including a
            >large selection of previously unpublished work.

            OK that doesn't sound too threatening. Thank you.

            >On the basis of this fine work of scholarship, Dodds was invited to be
            >Scholar Guest of Honor at Mythcon in 2001, where he turned out to be a fine
            >speaker and a good participant, even reading a part in "The Masque of the
            >Manuscript".

            Neat.

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano