Malazan, judging fantasy, etc.

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25 11:18 AM
      Matthew Winslow wrote:

      > My review of it is here:

      http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/>book_erikson_gardensofthemoon.html

      Thanks for the review ... I now understand the gist of
      the book much better than I did from the Salon
      article. I still have trepidation, but perhaps I will
      put it on my book "to read" list ... which means I
      should get around to reading it in a year or two,
      since it will probably be number 150 on the list or
      so. :) Maybe then more of the series will be released
      here and if I like it, I'll have more to read than the
      one book.

      Although I have never read the Fionavar Tapestry, I
      have heard the praise, but have been just as reluctant
      as David was to read because I am just not sure, it
      sounds alternately great or like something I wouldn't
      be all that interested in depending on what I read
      about it .... also, I have so many different kinds of
      books I like to read, I have to be a bit choosy about
      my epic fantasies since they take up a greater
      proportion of reading time than books that are
      self-contained, being several books long and each book
      many times is over 500 pages long. I have to limit
      which ones I read or else I would just be reading them
      all the time, and I like variety. :)

      After I finish the Kate Elliott series I have some
      general literature planned: Middlesex - Jeffery
      Eugenides, Baudolino - Umberto Eco, The Namesake -
      Jhumpa Lahiri and then finally a small return to the
      fantasy as someone left the latest Harry Potter book
      on my doorstep (strangely my apartment building seems
      to be a dumping ground for used books-fine with me!)
      so that's the pile I have waiting physically in my
      house for me to read, and then it's back to my list to
      purchase another pile. :)

      -kt

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25 5:34 PM
        From: "Katie Glick" <violet2393@...>

        > Although I have never read the Fionavar Tapestry, I
        > have heard the praise, but have been just as reluctant
        > as David was to read because I am just not sure, it
        > sounds alternately great or like something I wouldn't
        > be all that interested in depending on what I read
        > about it .... also, I have so many different kinds of
        > books I like to read, I have to be a bit choosy about
        > my epic fantasies since they take up a greater
        > proportion of reading time than books that are
        > self-contained, being several books long and each book
        > many times is over 500 pages long. I have to limit
        > which ones I read or else I would just be reading them
        > all the time, and I like variety. :)

        I should have added that although I was disappointed after book 1 of the
        trilogy, I was certainly not disappointed in Guy Kay as a Mythcon guest of
        honor. He was quite charming and entertaining. I still chuckle over his
        GOH speech when he revealed the boo-boo that he found in the proofs for his
        book. They'd turned his army of "five hundred men" into an army of "five
        hunched men."

        He speaks with a lisp but is still sought out as toastmaster at conventions.
        I've liked him quite a lot when I've heard him speak -- so maybe y'all
        should just go ahead and buy the Fionavar Tapestry after all!

        (I tried to read _Tigana_ and couldn't get through it. I found it a major
        snooze fest at the time and so didn't try anything later of his for years.
        I did read one several books later than _Tigana_ and liked it fine.)

        Berni
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25 5:40 PM
          In a message dated 6/26/4 12:37:14 AM, Berni wrote:

          <<(I tried to read _Tigana_ and couldn't get through it. I found it a major

          snooze fest at the time and so didn't try anything later of his for years.

          I did read one several books later than _Tigana_ and liked it fine.)

          I didn't much like _Tigana_, but I very much enjoyed _The Sarantine Mosaic_.
          Alexei