Re: [mythsoc] RE: Want Shinies!

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2004
      >Thanks for sharing, Lizzie. It was fun reading your
      >essay (which I would call a "dialog"). Sorry to
      >disappoint you, but no flogging from this quarter
      >today.

      LOL Thassokay Paul, it wasn't from you that I feared it. Doesn't a dialog
      require more than one voice? I guess someone else would get the same
      thoughts across with words like you use below, involving ancient and
      knowledge of history and gems and other things, and size, in a nonfiction
      manner.

      >It's fair to call me out, sure. So here goes a quick
      >blurt as I shift from main job to #2. Some of the
      >traits I expect when I think Dragon:

      >1. Solitary, not necessarily lonely. Where do big
      >dragons come from? It is not easy to see where they
      >would grow up, (from cute little pet dragon sized, to
      >say... Smaug sized). I also think dragons mating
      >would devastate the landscape, so I suppose they must
      >mate in the air to keep things relatively tidy.

      I think it's pretty classic and traditional to go for the dragon-alone
      image. We don't know all that much about wolverines and coelacanths
      either, although I think the former are more solitary and the latter more
      gregarious. Maybe they have select mating areas, and that's where tundra
      first emerged, or they bank their flames, or...

      >2. Charasmatic. Dragons have personality, and,considering the relative
      lack of social intercourse
      >suggested by the last point, it is quite surprising
      >that they can converse and be witty, sly, perceptive
      >and charming. Most of course are quite intelligent,
      >unlike other lizards, though very few are book
      >learned.

      Yes, charisma and wit and general learning. I would chalk that up to age
      and intelligence. Thus you have charming ones and grumpy ones. I admit it
      is hard to work in the literary side of dragons (how do you read with those
      huge talons?) but that is where a handy-dandy human form comes in.

      >3. Their eyes can mesmerize other critters, including
      >most regular joes (and janes).

      That can be magic or see above for #2, charisma.

      > 4. Dragons can do magic, although they generally show
      > restraint.

      Yes. The fidgety point of many fantasies, how do you keep consistent rules
      for magic? Why doesn't the dragon (or whomever) just magic the bad things
      away? Their magic can be limited to things related to fire, for example.

      >5. They have a sense of honor, meaning you can trust
      >them not to lie and to try to match deeds to words,
      >i.e., they will keep their word if they ever give it.
      >This is quite an amazing thing since a person might be
      >dinner on a dragon's whim if he hadn't promised safe
      >passage, and destruction of a village might just be
      >what happens after a bit of indigestion.

      Also classic, I think. And the cunning use of this trait makes for many a
      good tale.

      > 6. They are complex emotionally, but are ruled by
      > Greed (and Vengence if wronged).

      Ah, I would say, not all dragons. Again, classic.

      > 7. Of course Dragons can fly and are scaley and
      >strong with claws and wings big enough to fly off with
      >a yak for an afternoon snack, and they can be
      >different colors and breath fire or ice etc. They can
      >grow to be BIG. How big, well, maybe as big as your
      >average California bungalow, maybe twice as big, but
      >not much bigger than a blue whale.

      Depends on the dragon. Yaks are pretty big. I like a dragon with a head
      about 6' long and body to match, but some prefer them closer to the size of
      an aircraft carrier. Is that bigger than a blue whale?

      >Now I'm ten minutes late so I have to go. <

      Isn't that always how it happens? Thank you !

      >Incidentally, I never think of the long skinny
      >"Chinese Dragon" as the physical image of dragons. I
      >always see what I think of in my minds' eye as
      >"Northern" dragons, which are much broader and heavier
      >with huge powerful hindquarters, smaller foreclaws and
      >impossibly large wings.

      Yes, that is closer to my standard also, but I keep adding other
      variations. And then what about critters that aren't really Dragons but
      could belong to their extended family... winged serpents and the like? And
      the scaley/heavy thing speaks of cold blooded, sort of... but if you handle
      a snake, it has a lovely warm muscular feel to it. If you expand on that,
      and use a seal-like head, like some tales of Nessie, it is closer to some
      of the modern dino theories, quick and colorful. Not that I'd say dragons
      were dinos, just it's a handy analogy.

      C'mon all you dragon lovers, chime in. We don't have to be published
      novelists like Melanie Rawn or Anne McCaffrey to have legitimate ideas
      about dragons.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...