Tolkien fan culture

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
      I know of Tolkien fans who are also Tolkien scholars, but who are actually
      studying fan subculture. Can anyone suggest a potential contact?

      Edith L. Crowe
      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
      http://www.mythsoc.org
      ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 06/22/2004 12:37 PM -----

      "Zach Dundas" <zdundas@...>
      06/22/2004 11:51 AM

      To: edith.crowe@...
      cc:
      Subject: Tolkien fan culture

      Edith?

      I write at the suggestion of Douglas Anderson, one of the editors of the
      annual Tolkien journal published by the West Virginia University press.
      I'm working on a story that touches on the subculture(s) of serious
      Tolkien fans, and wonder if you might point me towards someone who may
      have done some academic or scholarly work with that particular focus. I
      can be reached at this email address or at the number below. Thanks!

      Zach Dundas // Staff Reporter // Willamette Week (www.wweek.com)
      503.243.2122

    • Larry Swain
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
        I don't know of anyone specifically, but one of the places I would check would be the Popular Culture Association's annual meeting--scroll through their program for the past few years.

        Their URL is:

        http://www.h-net.org/~pcaaca/

        > I know of Tolkien fans who are also Tolkien scholars, but who are actually
        > studying fan subculture. Can anyone suggest a potential contact?
        >
        > Edith L. Crowe
        > Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
        > http://www.mythsoc.org
        > ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 06/22/2004 12:37 PM -----
        >

        > "Zach Dundas" <zdundas@...>
        > 06/22/2004 11:51 AM
        >

        > To: edith.crowe@...
        > cc:
        > Subject: Tolkien fan culture
        >

        > Edith?
        >
        > I write at the suggestion of Douglas Anderson, one of the editors of the
        > annual Tolkien journal published by the West Virginia University press.
        > I'm working on a story that touches on the subculture(s) of serious
        > Tolkien fans, and wonder if you might point me towards someone who may
        > have done some academic or scholarly work with that particular focus. I
        > can be reached at this email address or at the number below. Thanks!
        >
        > Zach Dundas // Staff Reporter // Willamette Week (www.wweek.com)
        > 503.243.2122

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

        Powered by Outblaze
      • Croft, Janet B.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
          I second that -- there have been some good presentations at PCA on
          fanfic. And I've sent him some information on the two fanfic essays in
          the forthcoming Mythopoeic Press book Tolkien on Film: Essays on Peter
          Jackson's The Lord of the Rings.

          Janet

          I don't know of anyone specifically, but one of the places I would check
          would be the Popular Culture Association's annual meeting--scroll
          through their program for the past few years.

          Their URL is:

          http://www.h-net.org/~pcaaca/

          > I know of Tolkien fans who are also Tolkien scholars, but who are
          actually
          > studying fan subculture. Can anyone suggest a potential contact?
          >
          > Edith L. Crowe
          > Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
          > http://www.mythsoc.org
          > ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 06/22/2004 12:37 PM -----
          >

          > "Zach Dundas" <zdundas@...>
          > 06/22/2004 11:51 AM
          >

          > To: edith.crowe@...
          > cc:
          > Subject: Tolkien fan culture
          >

          > Edith?
          >
          > I write at the suggestion of Douglas Anderson, one of the editors of
          the
          > annual Tolkien journal published by the West Virginia University
          press.
          > I'm working on a story that touches on the subculture(s) of serious
          > Tolkien fans, and wonder if you might point me towards someone who may
          > have done some academic or scholarly work with that particular focus.
          > can be reached at this email address or at the number below. Thanks!
          >
          > Zach Dundas // Staff Reporter // Willamette Week (www.wweek.com)
          > 503.243.2122

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.

          Powered by Outblaze

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Michael Martinez
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Edith.Crowe@s... wrote:
            > I know of Tolkien fans who are also Tolkien scholars, but who are
            actually
            > studying fan subculture. Can anyone suggest a potential contact?
            >
            > Edith L. Crowe
            > Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
            > http://www.mythsoc.org

            Stine Gotved
            http://www.media.ku.dk/Engelsk/Ansatte_Eng/stine_eng.htm

            Erik Davis wrote an extensive article on Tolkien fandom for Wired
            Magazine a few years ago. Not an academic article, but it was a very
            extensive examination of Tolkien fandom nonetheless (movie related).
          • lilacflowersbloom
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
              Edith,

              I have a friend, Eden Lackner, who is both a Tolkien fan and is
              studying fan culture. Her email is eden DOT lackner AT shaw DOT ca
              (replace the Dot with . and At with @ -- this keeps spam from
              draining her mail box)

              She also suggests checking out the The International
              Association for the Fantastic listserv ( iafa.org )

              Hope that helps,

              Annette

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Edith.Crowe@s... wrote:
              > I know of Tolkien fans who are also Tolkien scholars, but who are
              actually
              > studying fan subculture. Can anyone suggest a potential contact?
              >
              > Edith L. Crowe
              > Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
              > http://www.mythsoc.org
              > ----- Forwarded by Edith Crowe/SJSU on 06/22/2004 12:37 PM -----
              >

              > "Zach Dundas" <zdundas@w...>
              > 06/22/2004 11:51 AM
              >

              > To: edith.crowe@s...
              > cc:
              > Subject: Tolkien fan culture
              >

              > Edith?
              >
              > I write at the suggestion of Douglas Anderson, one of the editors
              of the
              > annual Tolkien journal published by the West Virginia University
              press.
              > I'm working on a story that touches on the subculture(s) of serious
              > Tolkien fans, and wonder if you might point me towards someone who
              may
              > have done some academic or scholarly work with that particular
              focus. I
              > can be reached at this email address or at the number below.
              Thanks!

              > Zach Dundas // Staff Reporter // Willamette Week (www.wweek.com)
              > 503.243.2122

            • Stolzi
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
                Dr. Amy Sturgis founded a fan group, Lomelindi, and has studied at least fanfic if not fandom in general. She is also a Tolkien scholar and fan.

                http://home.mindspring.com/~ahsturgis/

                Diamond Proudbrook

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 22, 2004
                  At 12:42 PM 6/22/2004 -0700, Edith L. Crowe wrote:
                  >I know of Tolkien fans who are also Tolkien scholars, but who are actually
                  >studying fan subculture. Can anyone suggest a potential contact?

                  Gary Hunnewell is the traditional authority on Tolkien fandom. Write me
                  off-list if you don't have his contact info.

                  Camille Bacon-Smith interviewed MythSoc and other fantasy fans for her book
                  on fandom as a culture.

                  I tend to doubt the Popular Culture Association will know much about
                  Tolkien fandom except the fan-fic side. Just a guess.

                  The Wired article was very good on movie fandom, but when it got to Tolkien
                  linguistics it was slanted to the point of mendaciousness.

                  - David Bratman