Some thoughts on Dragons

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2004
      OK So you guys won't think it's an essay, but I live in my own little world
      of analogy, illustration, and very little direct prose. You all know where
      the Delete button is. ... best, Lizzie

      "I don't see why women love jewelry so much," said a male friend of mine
      the other day. "Just think of all the toys you could buy." I smiled,
      leaning back in the recliner and stretching one hand out to see the
      reassuring ruby glint.
      "The jewelry is our toys," I replied, letting my hand fall. His normally
      sardonic grey eyes reflected a chronic frustration. Fortunately, we had
      read a lot of the same medieval and fantasy literature. "Just think of the
      gold lust of all the dragons of old, you know? For gold and gems?"
      "Well, yes," he assented reluctantly.
      "So think of women as dragons in disguise."
      "Well, that would solve a lot of things," he admitted. He didn't entirely
      believe me, but he couldn't refuse the idea either.
      That conversation contained enough truth to stick, enough fabrication to
      be safe. Heck, I don't know why non-draconic women like jewelry -- heaven
      knows the stuff they sell today is hardly dwarven-crafted.
      I mean, look at this tiara. Wait, where'd it go? I know it's here
      somewhere. I keep my favorite pieces here by my bed of cedar branches, but
      sometimes when I change the boughs and freshen things up stuff gets
      rearranged. My hoard has less yellow gold than most, as I do prefer gems
      and white or blue metals, so this piece won't stick out like it would among
      Cciarhinga's treasures, say, or Blood Sable's.
      With a breath of white fire I light the row of torches along the nearest
      wall, and their flickering light is tossed in many colors about the
      foothills of treasure. Ah, there it is! I reach over with a foreleg green
      and golden and russet, hook a long black talon through the open white
      circle of metal.
      Right, look at this. Empire of Thunder, Daervin's mountain forge, maybe
      600 years old. Platinum alloyed with brugellia, that blue metal lost with
      Atlantis. Ceylon sapphires so small it's hard to believe they're all hand
      cut -- all twelve hundred of them! Gossamer-like filigree that has
      withstood the grinding of metal on metal for 400 years or more. Three
      emeralds of a green that today is only achieved with heat and chemicals.
      Made for a princess? Hardly. A journeyman weaponsmith (not even a
      jeweller) made it as a gift to a younger sister on her wedding day. I took
      it with many other things from a dead and burning village -- but I killed
      the sneaky troll bastards first. No survivors in the village. A shame.
      Tiaras not your style? How about this aquamarine ring, a stone regaining
      popularity in the mall shops. An oval stone maybe three-quarters of an
      inch long, set in some two-toned filigree more white than blue. At first
      glance almost standard fare. But look closer. The white shapes are
      cavorting mermaids, their arms and flowing hair the supports for the gem.
      The glue glints are hints of waves. Below this seascape the band is yellow
      gold, well worn by some lady's hand. Empire of Thunder, Beringa's last
      forge. Seven to eight hundred years old.

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 22, 2004
        Wow! I *loved* this. Thanks very much. (And have you ever written
        stories that I could get copies of?) ---djb

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2004
          << Wow! I *loved* this. Thanks very much. (And have you ever written
          stories that I could get copies of?) ---djb >>

          Why, thank you, Diane !

          And thank you, all those quick critical minds with very sharp fangs who are
          nicely being quiet (likely having used their Delete keys).

          I don't have much short fiction. I have fragments, poetry, and two long
          works. I can send you a piece about modern Grail defenders offlist, if you
          like. It's short, but there are no dragons (but there are unicorns). If
          you want dragons, you need to wait on publication of a Rsiltar novel, or
          completion of one of the Daurreliomne fragments.

          One would think there were dragon lists on yahoogroups. Anyone know ? The
          last few times I looked there for other fantasy groups I didn't come up
          with anything suitable for myself (I know about the Oom one that I can't
          spell, and there are a few others).

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia