The Annotated Hobbit

  • Douglas A. Anderson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2004
      Deidre wrote:

      > Strangely enough, I had just finished reading this edition, and have
      > started on FOTR. Besides all the commentary material, I like this edition
      > because it seems to be the most correct, with Anderson's working out of
      the
      > textual errors. And yet, even so, I think I have spotted one. :(
      >
      > See page 155 of the hardback (if there's a paperback edition, I don't have
      > it). Once the boat is on their side, they see it has no oars, and wonder
      > how they will cross. In the last paragraph on that page, Fili throws
      > another rope-hook across into the trees. Then he says. "Get it now," said
      > Fili, "and one of you haul on the rope that is stuck in a tree on the
      other
      > side." This doesn't really make sense. I think it should read "Get in
      now",

      Deidre, you seem to be working with the 1988 edition of The Annotated
      Hobbit. The 2002 edition (much enlarged) has the correct reading: "Get in
      now" (p. 197).

      The mistaken reading appears to have entered in the 1967 Houghton Mifflin
      (from which edition was photographed the basic text for the 1988 Annotated
      Hobbit)

      For reference, here are the readings in the main editions:

      1937: "Get in now" (p. 150)
      1951: "Get in now" (p. 155)
      1966-Ball "Get in now" (p. 144)
      1966-Longmans "Get in now" (p. 133)