RE: [mythsoc] Mythopoeia

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2004
      David Bratman wrote: What I enjoy more than these, but also don't find
      mythopoeic, is fantasy
      whose spirit is essentially comic. Mythopoeic fantasy can have humorous
      aspects, and comic fantasy can be very serious at times. But the comic
      spirit is not mythopoeic. I don't find Pratchett, Holt, or Hughart
      mythopoeic.

      Interesting! I do find Pratchett mythopoeic at his best, but definitely
      not all the time. Discworld has all the intricately realized detail I
      expect from something mythopoeic -- the sense that you could go there
      and find your way around and, most significantly, understand how these
      people think and why. But the more humorous novels don't have that
      sense of dealing with moral issues that lies behind the really good
      mythopoeic fantasy. Unseen University and its denizens are generally
      kind of shallow -- I don't particularly like Rincewind, though the
      Librarian has his surprising moments. The Ankh Morpork novels have more
      of the flavor of science fiction -- dealing with technological and
      social change, which is heady stuff but not mythopoetic. However, when
      Pratchett sends Cohen the Barbarian up against the capricious gods of
      Discworld, or shows a crisis in the faith of Omnianism encapsulated in
      one character, or puts us inside the head of Granny Weatherwax making an
      impossibly hard decision between Good and Right, then we're getting
      somewhere close to mythopoesis, I think. But then the mythopoetic seems
      to be in the eye of the beholder -- you know it when you see it.

      Janet

      A man who attempts to carry a cat home by the tail will
      get information which will be valuable to him all his life.
      --Mark Twain