reply to Maria

  • c howlett
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 1999
      Maria,
      I perfectly understand your sentiment! I am very new, too, and not yet
      in the hang of it -- and sometimes I find just piles of mail in only a day!
      I was fortunate to take a class on C.S. Lewis at the Seminary in
      Alexandria (on Seminary Rd, of course); and in the class was exposed to more
      of Tolkien's writings, the short stories especially, and introduced to
      Charles Williams. The class was led by one of the very few poor teachers
      there, but the reading list was excellent. As regards other fantasy
      writers, I am fairly ignorant. I don't care for the 'sword and sorcery'
      genre particularly. Zena Henderson writes interesting stories about 'the
      people' set in current U.S. Andre Norton's books when good, are very good.
      There is not so much insistence on really good writing in either sci-fi or
      fantasy, I think? Someone like Tolkien or Williams shines like a distant
      sun among most of them.

      Christy

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 1999
        Christy wrote:
        chowlett@...

        "Zena Henderson writes interesting stories about 'the people' set in current
        U.S. Andre Norton's books when good, are very good."

        Christy, thank you for the leads on other books. Sounds like a great
        opportunity for study that you had!
        Maria T.