Re: [mythsoc] Re: Christian fantasy

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 16, 2004
      May be it is because this one didn't start out as a Christian Group, is
      why I object to people trying to turn it into one? In fact, in the
      beginning, Glen was more Pagan than Christian. We discussed Jung, Diana
      Paxson and all the other fantasy Pagan writiers as much if not more than
      Lewis & Williams. In fact, many people in the earliest Society, never
      read Lewis and Williams because they objected to their religious slant
      on things. They only read Tolkien and other Fantasy Writers, period.

      Many of your arguements have been more exclusive rather than inclusive.
      What I object to is the "Because they were Christian" we must be
      "Christian", and must do everything with a Chrisitan slant. We aren't
      Christian, and we don't.

      Tolkien Lewis and Williams are not the only writers that we discuss.
      Again, many of the writiers we discuss are NOT Christians. So yes, I
      think that is relevant. We do not discuss ONLY Christian Writiers. There
      are Only Christian Writers groups out there. This is a Fantasy Group,
      not a religious group. We discuss Fantasy Books of all sorts of Religous
      leanings. And we usually discuss the main three in non-religious terms.
      Usually when threads get too Christian in this group, I just quickly
      scan them then go on looking for more Fantasy stuff again.

      No, I don't read a lot of Lewis and Williams, I read Tolkien and other
      Fantasy Writers. And through the Society I have found out more about one
      of my favorite writiers - Tolkien - and many other lovely books!
      Including the Prydain books, Katherine Kurtz's earlier stuff, great
      discussions on Robin Hood and King Arthur Legends, and on and on....

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

    • clairedelune21@aol.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 19, 2004