Re: [mythsoc] Till We Have Faces review

    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 12, 2004
      In a message dated 6/11/2004 7:17:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Stolzi@... writes:

      > I have to ask myself about the tone of this reference, suggesting that
      > Christianity is now "box office poison" -
      >
      > "It is certainly a tribute to Lewis the writer that, despite his linkage to
      > so-called Christian literature and his knack for religious allegory, he
      > continues to be widely read and referenced. "
      >
      > Ooo, that awful religious allegory! ooo!

      It's not quite that Christian literature is considered "box office poison."
      It's that Christian literature is now considered a genre with all the usual
      ghettoization of genres. Not only is a section labeled something like
      "Christian Fiction" found in many religious bookstores, but there's frequently a
      section with that label in many of the large general-purpose bookstores. The real
      reason for creating sections is that people who want to look at nothing except
      science fiction, mysteries, romances, Christian fiction, etc., now only have
      to look through other books of that genre because it's all placed in one
      section. They no longer even have to think about other sorts of fiction.

      The interesting thing is that Lewis's books are not part of this ghetto.
      I've made this same point a couple times before on this mailing list. I first
      noticed this some years ago when I saw that there was a fair number of Lewis's
      books in Kramerbooks and Afterwords, a somewhat hip bookstore/cafe in a
      somewhat hip neighborhood of Washington, D.C. There were more of his books there
      than in the religious bookstores and almost as many as in the Borders and Barnes &
      Noble's bookstores in the area. I suspect the people who buy large amounts
      of "Christian literature" don't even think of Lewis as being part of this
      genre.

      Heck, I wonder if the fans of that sort of literature even know who Lewis is.
      Maybe it's the same as the way that Philip K. Dick's and Samuel Delany's
      books are no longer sold in mass-market paperbacks anymore (just in highbrow
      trade paperbacks) and are sometimes no longer placed in the science fiction
      sections. The publishers have made a decision not to appeal to genre readers
      anymore for these writers and have deliberately pushed them away from one group of
      readers to another.

    • clairedelune21@aol.com
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 19, 2004
        Thanks so much, Diamond. ;)