Re: [mythsoc] McKinley question

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
      Elizabeth Apgar Triano [lizziewriter@...] wrote:
      > > Robin McKinley is a male author?
      > Female, I believe. >>
      > thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
      > female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
      > books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

      Lizzie,

      Re-read the review. Notice that the 2nd paragraph uses the female pronoun. The
      only instance of the male pronoun is in the last paragraph where it is in
      reference to the male vampire. Even within that paragraph, Sherwood refers to
      McKinley as she.

      And does anyone know for sure? Why don't you ask her husband, Peter Dickinson?
      <g>

      "Some writers confuse authenticity, which they ought always to aim at, with
      originality, which they should never bother about."
      --WH Auden
      Currently reading: Gods, Heroes, and Kings: The Battle for Mythic Britain by Christopher Fee
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
        >Nope; female. ---djb

        And married to Peter Dickinson.
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
          Re-read the review. Notice that the 2nd paragraph uses the female pronoun.
          The
          only instance of the male pronoun is in the last paragraph where it is in
          reference to the male vampire. Even within that paragraph, Sherwood refers
          McKinley as she. >>

          OK OK My sloppy reading. Thanks, I will reread.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
            In a message dated 6/11/4 1:30:54 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

            <<> Robin McKinley is a male author?

            Female, I believe. >>

            thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
            female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
            books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

            Well, having met her in person, I'm pretty sure she's female. :-)
            I believe she's married to Peter Dickinson (the Y/A fantasy author) and lives
            in England.
            Alexei
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
              Sherwood captured the reasons why I enjoyed *Sunshine*---however, I *do*
              wish *Lost Steersman* had at least made the final five. ---djb