Re: [mythsoc] McKinley question

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
      > Robin McKinley is a male author?

      Female, I believe. >>

      thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
      female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
      books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
        Nope; female. ---djb

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
          Elizabeth Apgar Triano [lizziewriter@...] wrote:
          > > Robin McKinley is a male author?
          > Female, I believe. >>
          > thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
          > female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
          > books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

          Lizzie,

          Re-read the review. Notice that the 2nd paragraph uses the female pronoun. The
          only instance of the male pronoun is in the last paragraph where it is in
          reference to the male vampire. Even within that paragraph, Sherwood refers to
          McKinley as she.

          And does anyone know for sure? Why don't you ask her husband, Peter Dickinson?
          <g>

          "Some writers confuse authenticity, which they ought always to aim at, with
          originality, which they should never bother about."
          --WH Auden
          Currently reading: Gods, Heroes, and Kings: The Battle for Mythic Britain by Christopher Fee
        • Jack
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
            >Nope; female. ---djb

            And married to Peter Dickinson.
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
              Re-read the review. Notice that the 2nd paragraph uses the female pronoun.
              The
              only instance of the male pronoun is in the last paragraph where it is in
              reference to the male vampire. Even within that paragraph, Sherwood refers
              McKinley as she. >>

              OK OK My sloppy reading. Thanks, I will reread.

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
            • alexeik@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
                In a message dated 6/11/4 1:30:54 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

                <<> Robin McKinley is a male author?

                Female, I believe. >>

                thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
                female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
                books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

                Well, having met her in person, I'm pretty sure she's female. :-)
                I believe she's married to Peter Dickinson (the Y/A fantasy author) and lives
                in England.
                Alexei
              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
                  Sherwood captured the reasons why I enjoyed *Sunshine*---however, I *do*
                  wish *Lost Steersman* had at least made the final five. ---djb