Re: [mythsoc] McKinley question

  • Lisa Padol
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
      > Robin McKinley is a male author?

      Female, I believe.

      -Lisa

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
        > Robin McKinley is a male author?

        Female, I believe. >>

        thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
        female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
        books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
          Nope; female. ---djb

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
            Elizabeth Apgar Triano [lizziewriter@...] wrote:
            > > Robin McKinley is a male author?
            > Female, I believe. >>
            > thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
            > female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
            > books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

            Lizzie,

            Re-read the review. Notice that the 2nd paragraph uses the female pronoun. The
            only instance of the male pronoun is in the last paragraph where it is in
            reference to the male vampire. Even within that paragraph, Sherwood refers to
            McKinley as she.

            And does anyone know for sure? Why don't you ask her husband, Peter Dickinson?
            <g>

            "Some writers confuse authenticity, which they ought always to aim at, with
            originality, which they should never bother about."
            --WH Auden
            Currently reading: Gods, Heroes, and Kings: The Battle for Mythic Britain by Christopher Fee
          • Jack
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
              >Nope; female. ---djb

              And married to Peter Dickinson.
            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
                Re-read the review. Notice that the 2nd paragraph uses the female pronoun.
                The
                only instance of the male pronoun is in the last paragraph where it is in
                reference to the male vampire. Even within that paragraph, Sherwood refers
                McKinley as she. >>

                OK OK My sloppy reading. Thanks, I will reread.

                Lizzie

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia
              • alexeik@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
                  In a message dated 6/11/4 1:30:54 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

                  <<> Robin McKinley is a male author?

                  Female, I believe. >>

                  thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
                  female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
                  books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

                  Well, having met her in person, I'm pretty sure she's female. :-)
                  I believe she's married to Peter Dickinson (the Y/A fantasy author) and lives
                  in England.
                  Alexei
                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
                    Sherwood captured the reasons why I enjoyed *Sunshine*---however, I *do*
                    wish *Lost Steersman* had at least made the final five. ---djb