McKinley question

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
      Robin McKinley is a male author?

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • Lisa Padol
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
        > Robin McKinley is a male author?

        Female, I believe.

        -Lisa

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
          > Robin McKinley is a male author?

          Female, I believe. >>

          thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
          female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
          books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
            Nope; female. ---djb

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
              Elizabeth Apgar Triano [lizziewriter@...] wrote:
              > > Robin McKinley is a male author?
              > Female, I believe. >>
              > thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
              > female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
              > books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

              Lizzie,

              Re-read the review. Notice that the 2nd paragraph uses the female pronoun. The
              only instance of the male pronoun is in the last paragraph where it is in
              reference to the male vampire. Even within that paragraph, Sherwood refers to
              McKinley as she.

              And does anyone know for sure? Why don't you ask her husband, Peter Dickinson?
              <g>

              "Some writers confuse authenticity, which they ought always to aim at, with
              originality, which they should never bother about."
              --WH Auden
              Currently reading: Gods, Heroes, and Kings: The Battle for Mythic Britain by Christopher Fee
            • Jack
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
                >Nope; female. ---djb

                And married to Peter Dickinson.
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
                  Re-read the review. Notice that the 2nd paragraph uses the female pronoun.
                  The
                  only instance of the male pronoun is in the last paragraph where it is in
                  reference to the male vampire. Even within that paragraph, Sherwood refers
                  McKinley as she. >>

                  OK OK My sloppy reading. Thanks, I will reread.

                  Lizzie

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia
                • alexeik@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 11, 2004
                    In a message dated 6/11/4 1:30:54 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

                    <<> Robin McKinley is a male author?

                    Female, I believe. >>

                    thanks, Lisa. I always thought so too, the books sure seemed sympa to the
                    female viewpoint. But the latest Mythprint has a review of one of his/her
                    books, and uses the male pronoun. Anyone know for sure ?

                    Well, having met her in person, I'm pretty sure she's female. :-)
                    I believe she's married to Peter Dickinson (the Y/A fantasy author) and lives
                    in England.
                    Alexei
                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 14, 2004
                      Sherwood captured the reasons why I enjoyed *Sunshine*---however, I *do*
                      wish *Lost Steersman* had at least made the final five. ---djb