Re: [mythsoc] is genome stuff OT?

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2000
      At 10:34 PM -0500 3/6/00, Stolzi@... wrote:
      >From: Stolzi@...
      >
      >In a message dated 3/6/00 6:43:02 PM Central Standard Time, ERATRIANO@...
      >writes:
      >
      >> What is the Latin for "window"?
      >
      >Fenestra.
      >
      >If someone offers to defenestrate you, don't accept.

      What year -was- the Defenestration of Prague?

      ====================================
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      sschaper@...
      members.delphi.com/sschaper/web/sschaper.html
      ====================================
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 7, 2000
        In a message dated 3/6/00 7:42:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, ERATRIANO@...
        writes:

        > I don't know as much linguistic stuff as I'd like to.

        Let me make some suggestions if you want to learn some new things about the
        interactions of the Celts and others in Britain, particularly as related to
        language. First, don't worry very much about articles and reviews in
        newspapers, even in something as reliable as _The New York Times_. These
        articles are about new and somewhat controversial discoveries. These ideas
        might turn out to be correct, but they might get knocked down in the next
        paper on the subject. It would be more efficient to learn about the subject
        from a book than from a meandering discussion on a mailing list. Why not
        start with a good, recent history of the Celts (um, actually, I need to read
        one of these) and then a good, recent history of the English language?

        If you don't know much about linguistic matters, you might want to read a
        good introductory book about linguistics. Get one that concentrates on the
        ideas of what a language is, the idea of language and dialect, how languages
        change, etc., rather than on picky details of generative grammar. Perhaps
        you already know this stuff, but I'm frequently surprised to find
        intelligent, well-read people who don't know anything about linguistics.

        Wendell Wagner
      • LSolarion@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2000
          In a message dated 03/06/2000 5:57:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
          sschaper@... writes:

          << Why their language was replaced I
          don't know, but they seem to have had a real presence and identity up
          through the early Norman period, throughout much of England.

          Perhaps for the same reason so many American Indians speak English: their
          native language was forbidden. To conquer a people, you must conquer their
          culture, and you cannot do that without replacing their language with your
          own. But this is just a guess.

          As an aside, I emerge out of lurkerhood and introduce myself. I have been a
          fantasy fan for many years, and especially enjoy Tolkien, Lewis, and Charles
          Williams (as well as E.R. Eddison and George R.R. Martin, and recently, Harry
          Potter). In fact, I find in their fantasies more truth than in the so-called
          real world (that is, the "world" in the Biblical sense). So this list is a
          gift I am thankful for, and I look forward to many more stimulating
          discussions.

          LSolarion
        • Steve Schaper
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7, 2000
            At 8:37 AM -0500 3/7/00, LSolarion@... wrote:
            >From: LSolarion@...
            >
            >In a message dated 03/06/2000 5:57:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
            >sschaper@... writes:
            >
            ><< Why their language was replaced I
            > don't know, but they seem to have had a real presence and identity up
            > through the early Norman period, throughout much of England.
            > >>

            >Perhaps for the same reason so many American Indians speak English: their
            >native language was forbidden. To conquer a people, you must conquer their
            >culture, and you cannot do that without replacing their language with your
            >own. But this is just a guess.

            The problem with that is that the population of the indigenes here is
            miniscule compared to the majority. It seems that Romano-British may
            have survived into the early Norman period in Enland. Certainly
            villages identified by their Angle neighbors as such did so.

            ====================================
          • ERATRIANO@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7, 2000
              In a message dated 03/07/2000 8:20:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              WendellWag@... writes:

              << Why not
              start with a good, recent history of the Celts (um, actually, I need to read
              one of these) and then a good, recent history of the English language? >>
              Okay so you and I both need a title for the first, and I need a title for the
              second. Anyone have some recommendations? I often fall asleep reading
              nonfiction, by the way.

              Lizzie
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 7, 2000
                Mario Pei wrote some good popular books about linguistics, as I recall, but
                they're some decades old now...

                Mary S
              • Paul F. Labaki
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 7, 2000
                  Several years ago I tried Eddison, I really tried to read him, and enjoy his
                  work. After all, it comes with some good recommendations. This was my
                  second serious attempt, having tried once about four years before that.

                  Please, someone tell me why I should try again -- assuming I should -- and
                  what particular elements of his storytelling and of his writing are worth
                  what appears to me to be quite considerable effort?

                  I had a lot of fun hunting down cheap paperback copies of his work in
                  bookstores all over the east, but now I just have a lot of occupied shelf
                  space that preserves them as museum pieces in my fantasy collection. The
                  biggest problem is the curator is, in this case, an ignoramus. I apologize,
                  I just felt like writing the word ignoramus.

                  Peace,
                  Paul Labaki