RE: [mythsoc] Posting format (WAS: Re: Re: Green men)

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6, 2004
      Since my program doesn't put anything in, let me say that here below
      follows what I am quoting:

      But what Wendell and I are both seeing is this:

      << The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. >>

      This isn't a typical quoting format, and therefore is rather confusing,
      especially if what is being quoted is a paragraph or so. :(

      Now here is my explanation:

      I add those >>s manually so that people can see what I am quoting.

      I am not real fond of the automatic every-line things, because while they
      are nice at first, after a generation or so they get very annoying.

      Aren't we getting a bit anal here though?

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2004
        In a message dated 6/6/2004 8:09:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        lizziewriter@... writes:

        > Aren't we getting a bit anal here though?

        The problem for me was that it wasn't a matter being bothered by the
        irregularity of the format. The problem was that I couldn't understand the post at
        all. I think it would help if people didn't quote as much of the post that
        they're replying to. It would be even more helpful if people didn't quote parts
        of posts that contain quotes themselves. It would also be helpful if people
        always made sure that the author of quotes was identified.

      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2004
          From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

          > I add those >>s manually so that people can see what I am quoting.
          >
          > I am not real fond of the automatic every-line things, because while they
          > are nice at first, after a generation or so they get very annoying.
          >
          > Aren't we getting a bit anal here though?

          No, Lizzie. I agree with Wendell and Deirdre. Sometimes my quotes don't
          automatically generate the sideways carets so I have to put them in
          manually. Or I don't like the line breaks. It's not that much harder to go
          back and type

          >This is much easier
          >to read for most
          >of us who are used to
          >this convention

          >than to read this and have it go on and
          on.................................................
          ............................nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
          nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn>

          and to try to keep track of it that way.

          Also, the ">" business is layered. If you keep in your attributions, as is
          proper netiquette, you get

          firstperson@wherever
          >all their text begins with a single mark. If they have quoted someone and
          you keep that in, you get

          >secondperson@wherever
          >>and all their remarks are preceded by a double mark. Ditto if there is a
          third level of quotes -- there will be 3 marks.

          This is pretty standard. Doing variant quoting is like variant spelling --
          it slows down the reader and has the tendancy to confuse.

          To be quite frank, I often skip what you and Diane write because it's too
          much effort to figure out what is quotation and what is original. And I
          also consider it quite rude to delete the the source of the quotation unless
          there is a very good reason (such as you asked the person if you could quote
          them and they said you could only if you didn't say who it was from).

          Berni