Posting format (WAS: Re: Re: Green men)

  • Deidre
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 6 12:21 PM
      At 11:29 AM 6/5/04 +0000, Wendell Wagner wrote:
      >Message: 2
      > Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:09:53 EDT
      > From: WendellWag@...
      >Subject: Re: Green men (Re: Mythago Wood )
      >
      >Could people please, please be more careful in distinguishing between what
      >they are quoting and what they are saying themselves in their posts?
      ><snip> Please, please,
      >please take a little more time to reformat your posts so that it's clear what
      >you're quoting.

      I'm having a similar problem to Wendell's, and I'm not on AOL. I suspect
      that the posting format has more to do with what some posters on the list
      are using for an email client. I'm going to go to individual email or check
      these posts at the YG web site, and see from there if I can view what email
      client is being used. Then perhaps a different way of quoting can be suggested.

      I use Eudora as my email client (have tried many others, but always come
      back to Eudora), and messages that I quote should have the karats in front
      of *every* line, like this:

      > The quick brown
      > fox jumped over
      > the lazy dog.

      But what Wendell and I are both seeing is this:

      << The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. >>

      This isn't a typical quoting format, and therefore is rather confusing,
      especially if what is being quoted is a paragraph or so. :(

      Deidre
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6 5:08 PM
        Since my program doesn't put anything in, let me say that here below
        follows what I am quoting:

        But what Wendell and I are both seeing is this:

        << The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. >>

        This isn't a typical quoting format, and therefore is rather confusing,
        especially if what is being quoted is a paragraph or so. :(

        Now here is my explanation:

        I add those >>s manually so that people can see what I am quoting.

        I am not real fond of the automatic every-line things, because while they
        are nice at first, after a generation or so they get very annoying.

        Aren't we getting a bit anal here though?

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6 6:53 PM
          In a message dated 6/6/2004 8:09:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          lizziewriter@... writes:

          > Aren't we getting a bit anal here though?

          The problem for me was that it wasn't a matter being bothered by the
          irregularity of the format. The problem was that I couldn't understand the post at
          all. I think it would help if people didn't quote as much of the post that
          they're replying to. It would be even more helpful if people didn't quote parts
          of posts that contain quotes themselves. It would also be helpful if people
          always made sure that the author of quotes was identified.

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 13 9:58 PM
            From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

            > I add those >>s manually so that people can see what I am quoting.
            >
            > I am not real fond of the automatic every-line things, because while they
            > are nice at first, after a generation or so they get very annoying.
            >
            > Aren't we getting a bit anal here though?

            No, Lizzie. I agree with Wendell and Deirdre. Sometimes my quotes don't
            automatically generate the sideways carets so I have to put them in
            manually. Or I don't like the line breaks. It's not that much harder to go
            back and type

            >This is much easier
            >to read for most
            >of us who are used to
            >this convention

            >than to read this and have it go on and
            on.................................................
            ............................nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
            nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn>

            and to try to keep track of it that way.

            Also, the ">" business is layered. If you keep in your attributions, as is
            proper netiquette, you get

            firstperson@wherever
            >all their text begins with a single mark. If they have quoted someone and
            you keep that in, you get

            >secondperson@wherever
            >>and all their remarks are preceded by a double mark. Ditto if there is a
            third level of quotes -- there will be 3 marks.

            This is pretty standard. Doing variant quoting is like variant spelling --
            it slows down the reader and has the tendancy to confuse.

            To be quite frank, I often skip what you and Diane write because it's too
            much effort to figure out what is quotation and what is original. And I
            also consider it quite rude to delete the the source of the quotation unless
            there is a very good reason (such as you asked the person if you could quote
            them and they said you could only if you didn't say who it was from).

            Berni