RE: [mythsoc] Green men (Re: Mythago Wood )

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2004
      OK, I guess we all need to shore up the definition of Green Men. I think
      of them as a vegetation symbol, more a fertility thing and impersonal.
      Like those leaf-faces with leaf-tongues carved over doorways and stuff.

      Sorry about the muckiness, Wendell and anyone else. I will try to be
      neater with this post. Sheesh, can't get away with anything around here...

      Diane paused to doublecheck:

      << Is Fangorn an actual *character* [always thought of it as something less]
      or are you thinking of Old Man Willow? (Maybe they're the same?) Please
      forgive my memorial lacunae. >>

      Happens to all of us.

      Fangorn (Treebeard) is oh Definitely a character. He's that hoom-hom guy
      in charge of Mirkwood.

      I had forgotten about Old Man Willow, the grouchy old tree. I wouldn't
      call him exactly a character, more like a Whomping Willow, something that's
      alive and dangerous but not much into dialogue.

      << As for Green Men and Bombadil, Treebeard and his like make me think more
      of
      Green Men, and I've always looked at those leafy faces and seen them as
      capable of being very angry folk. I sure wouldn't want to cross one. But
      they are not *always* angry; JRRT struck the right balance as he usually
      does. Bombadil seems like a Land Lord (in the best sense of the word): he
      takes care of his lands diligently, and those who come into his purview,
      while they are in his purview; after they leave, he's forgotten them
      already. Gandalf is right; he'd forget the Ring and it would find someone
      else to do its evil work. Butterbur (in his careless way) is something of
      an urban counterpart, but Bombadil is not careless for a moment, and
      Butterbur is entirely prosaic, while TB is not. ---djb >>

      All too true.

      I suppose Treebeard/Fangorn is technically a Green Guy anyway. And angry,
      sure, they demonstrated what they can do.

      I guess I still think of Green Man more as fertility/vegetation/seasonal.
      The Ents are somehow more than that.

      Bombadil is a focused sovereign indeed.

      Good morning, all,

      Lizzie