45 CD Lord of the Rings??? Help for Thornton's

  • Ted Sherman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2000
      > >===== Original Message From "Thornton's Staff"
      > <Thorntons@...> =====
      > Do you know of an edition of the Lord of the Rings
      > on 45 CD's, 51 hours, in presentation box
      >
      > and a separate edition on 10 CD's of the Hobbit ?
      >
      > We cannot trace the publisher right now.
      >
      > Can you help us ?
      >
      > many thanks
      >
      > ** THORNTON'S OF OXFORD LTD -

      Anyone out there able to help the friendly folks at Thornton's of
      Oxford? Reply to their address in the message (and let me know who
      publishes it too--if there is such a beast).

      Ted

      --
      Dr. Theodore James Sherman
      Department of English, Box X041
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2000
        Ted Sherman wrote:

        >> >===== Original Message From "Thornton's Staff"
        >> <Thorntons@...> =====
        >> Do you know of an edition of the Lord of the Rings
        >> on 45 CD's, 51 hours, in presentation box
        >>
        >> and a separate edition on 10 CD's of the Hobbit ?
        >>
        >> We cannot trace the publisher right now.
        >>
        >> Can you help us ?
        >
        >Anyone out there able to help the friendly folks at Thornton's of
        >Oxford? Reply to their address in the message (and let me know who
        >publishes it too--if there is such a beast).

        These are the unabridged recordings by Rob Inglis, published by ISIS Audio
        Books. They've been out on cassette for years, both in the U.K. and U.S.,
        but seem presently to be available only in the U.K. (Amazon.co.uk are
        carrying them at a discount). I find no online listing of the new CD
        issues, but these were announced by the Tolkien Society sales officer in
        the latest _Amon Hen_ (51 hrs., 38 min. on 46 CDs for LR, 11 hrs., 15 min.
        on 10 CDs for H). However, I wonder if the announcement wasn't premature,
        as neither Amazon.co.uk nor the Tolkien Society sales page at
        <www.tolkiensociety.org> lists the CDs for sale.

        Wayne Hammond
      • Ted Sherman
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2000
          Thanks, Wayne. I knew the answer would be found on this list.

          Ted

          "Wayne G. Hammond" wrote:

          > From: "Wayne G. Hammond" <Wayne.G.Hammond@...>

          > >> <Thorntons@...> =====
          > >> Do you know of an edition of the Lord of the Rings
          > >> on 45 CD's, 51 hours, in presentation box
          > >>
          > >> and a separate edition on 10 CD's of the Hobbit ?
          > >>
          > >> We cannot trace the publisher right now.
          > >>
          > >> Can you help us ?
          > >
          > >Anyone out there able to help the friendly folks at Thornton's of
          > >Oxford? Reply to their address in the message (and let me know who
          > >publishes it too--if there is such a beast).
          >
          > These are the unabridged recordings by Rob Inglis, published by ISIS Audio
          > Books. They've been out on cassette for years, both in the U.K. and U.S.,
          > but seem presently to be available only in the U.K. (Amazon.co.uk are
          > carrying them at a discount). I find no online listing of the new CD
          > issues, but these were announced by the Tolkien Society sales officer in
          > the latest _Amon Hen_ (51 hrs., 38 min. on 46 CDs for LR, 11 hrs., 15 min.
          > on 10 CDs for H). However, I wonder if the announcement wasn't premature,
          > as neither Amazon.co.uk nor the Tolkien Society sales page at
          > <www.tolkiensociety.org> lists the CDs for sale.
          >
          > Wayne Hammond

          > MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
          > Apply NOW!

          Dr. Theodore James Sherman
          Department of English, Box X041
          College of Liberal Arts
          Middle Tennessee State University
          Murfreesboro, TN 37130
          615 898-5836; FAX 615 898-5098
          tsherman@...
          tedsherman@...
        • Paul F. Labaki
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2000
            Just Saturday i got my hands on a 13 disc cd rom of The Lord of the Rings
            published by Bantam Doubleday Dell Audio Publishing 1540 Broadway, NY, NY
            10036. The recordings are based on the BBC productions. I don't know the
            total combined length of the piece.

            Peace,
            Paul Labaki