Re: [mythsoc] Green men (Re: Mythago Wood )

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4 6:09 AM
      Could people please, please be more careful in distinguishing between what
      they are quoting and what they are saying themselves in their posts? In Diane
      Baker's last post (in reply to Lizzie Triano) I was completely lost as to who
      was saying what. Both Lizzie and Diane have quoting styles that tend to drop
      the distinctions between what is quoted and what is said. When they reply to
      each other several times this means that there are several levels of quotation
      which gets totally hopeless to interpret. And what's this business of italics
      suddently appearing in a post for no reason? Look, I know that you people
      don't want to have to spend a lot of time on reformatting a post, but when you
      don't do so, it's really hard to read. You people have a lot of interesting
      points to make and I would really like to understand them. Please, please,
      please take a little more time to reformat your posts so that it's clear what
      you're quoting.

    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4 6:39 AM
        OK, I guess we all need to shore up the definition of Green Men. I think
        of them as a vegetation symbol, more a fertility thing and impersonal.
        Like those leaf-faces with leaf-tongues carved over doorways and stuff.

        Sorry about the muckiness, Wendell and anyone else. I will try to be
        neater with this post. Sheesh, can't get away with anything around here...

        Diane paused to doublecheck:

        << Is Fangorn an actual *character* [always thought of it as something less]
        or are you thinking of Old Man Willow? (Maybe they're the same?) Please
        forgive my memorial lacunae. >>

        Happens to all of us.

        Fangorn (Treebeard) is oh Definitely a character. He's that hoom-hom guy
        in charge of Mirkwood.

        I had forgotten about Old Man Willow, the grouchy old tree. I wouldn't
        call him exactly a character, more like a Whomping Willow, something that's
        alive and dangerous but not much into dialogue.

        << As for Green Men and Bombadil, Treebeard and his like make me think more
        of
        Green Men, and I've always looked at those leafy faces and seen them as
        capable of being very angry folk. I sure wouldn't want to cross one. But
        they are not *always* angry; JRRT struck the right balance as he usually
        does. Bombadil seems like a Land Lord (in the best sense of the word): he
        takes care of his lands diligently, and those who come into his purview,
        while they are in his purview; after they leave, he's forgotten them
        already. Gandalf is right; he'd forget the Ring and it would find someone
        else to do its evil work. Butterbur (in his careless way) is something of
        an urban counterpart, but Bombadil is not careless for a moment, and
        Butterbur is entirely prosaic, while TB is not. ---djb >>

        All too true.

        I suppose Treebeard/Fangorn is technically a Green Guy anyway. And angry,
        sure, they demonstrated what they can do.

        I guess I still think of Green Man more as fertility/vegetation/seasonal.
        The Ents are somehow more than that.

        Bombadil is a focused sovereign indeed.

        Good morning, all,

        Lizzie