Re: self publishing

  • Michael Martinez
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2004
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano"
      <lizziewriter@e...> wrote:
      > Has anyone published a book via one of the POD services, for example
      > XLibris? Would you recommend any particular service based on that
      > experience? Where would I be able to see books that have been
      published in
      > this manner, besides online?

      I wish I had seen this when you posted it back in March, but I had a
      serious case of Vertigo then and wasn't online very much.

      I SELF-published VISUALIZING MIDDLE-EARTH through Xlibris. They are a
      publishing services provider, which is fancy-speak for "vanity press".
      When I published VME, however, they had a free publication program
      which is no longer available.

      I don't care to rehash the technical discussion about what constitutes
      self-publishing, etc. This book did not pass editorial review. It
      was self-published.

      Remarkably, VISUALIZING MIDDLE-EARTH is still selling 30-40 copies a
      month today, but I had to do all the publicity and promotion for it.
      So far, two foreign publishers have inquired about translation rights
      and I just signed a contract to have it translated into Hungarian last
      week.

      Nonetheless, I agree with some of what David Bratman said back in
      March: self-publishing should not be any fiction writer's first
      choice. Nor should it be a non-fiction writer's first choice unless
      it's absolutely clear the potential market for the book is too small
      to justify the expense a traditional publisher would have to go
      through.

      I strongly recommend AGAINST using the POD vanity presses unless you
      are really, really prepared to spend a lot of time and money on
      promoting your book. Being listed in Amazon doesn't mean anything.
      They will not promote your book for you.

      And it's almost guaranteed that an Xlibris or iUniverse author won't
      get any signings at major bookstores (Borders, Barnes and Noble,
      Booksamillion, Waldenbooks) without representation.

      To get the signings, you need a publicist. Publicists cost money.
      Some are better than others. I like my publicist because her company
      produces results.

      On the other hand, I'm not happy with Vivisphere, the small press
      which published UNDERSTANDING MIDDLE-EARTH. They came to me but
      because I was without an agent at the time, I negotiated the contract
      myself and I didn't see how little support they would actually give
      me. I should have picked up the phone and made some calls before
      signing that contract.

      Small presses get a bad reputation because of experiences like mine,
      but then, big companies get bad reputations, too.

      Do everything you can to get an agent and a publicist. The agent will
      work on commission. The publicist will not. Both will work for YOU
      and look out for YOUR best interests. That is absolutely critical to
      keeping your peace of mind. You need to know someone is on your side
      when you publish.

      Do everything you can to get a traditional publishing house to sign
      you up before you go to a POD publishing house. Xlibris pays its
      royalties on time without any prodding from me. That is good. But
      most self-published books really do NOT sell many copies. A lot of
      self-published authors experience severe disappointment and
      frustration. And they don't get royalty checks every three months
      like I do. Think about that.

      I knew many Xlibris authors who, lacking the resources and connections
      I had, could not sell their books. They were angry that Xlibris
      wasn't out there helping them sell those books. They didn't
      understand what they were getting into.

      If you don't have a real agent sit down and say, "Here is your
      contract, it's a good contract, sign it, sign it now, and let's go to
      the bank", you're in trouble. I got lucky with my self-published
      book. Most people don't.

      I just signed a contract last week which my agent negotiated for me.
      VISUALIZING MIDDLE-EARTH will be translated into Hungarian.

      You want to know what irks me more than anything else about these
      books? A major publishing house wanted to publish UNDERSTANDING
      MIDDLE-EARTH, but by the time my agent got involved, it was too late.

      Now I have to write another book and start all over again....
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 2, 2004
        Thank you, Michael. Welcome back.

        I spent some time on the yahoo self-publishing list, which was very very
        informative. I have ruled out subsidy presses basically because their end
        product is too expensive for the market. The self publishing list
        generates too much volume for me to stay there for now. I would recommend
        it to anyone who is interested in the subject however.

        I did get a lot of helpful information and a couple of readers, and the
        titles of some useful books on the subject. The next one I will be picking
        up has to do with getting an agent. I have some revising to do too.

        best,

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
      • Michael Martinez
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 2, 2004
          <lizziewriter@e...> wrote:
          > Thank you, Michael. Welcome back.
          >
          > I spent some time on the yahoo self-publishing list, which was
          > very very informative. I have ruled out subsidy presses basically
          > because their end product is too expensive for the market. The
          > self publishing list generates too much volume for me to stay
          > there for now. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested
          > in the subject however.

          I think a lot of people have been hopeful the Internet would change
          the publishing world, but it still comes down to basic marketing. If
          you can get a publishing company to push your book for you, that is
          still the way to go.

          'Nuff said.

          Good luck.
        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 2, 2004
            There is a discussion on self-publishing going on at
            http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/ right now -- knowledgeable
            people there with lots of good advice from inside the publishing
            industry.

            Janet

            > I spent some time on the yahoo self-publishing list, which was
            > very very informative. I have ruled out subsidy presses basically
            > because their end product is too expensive for the market. The
            > self publishing list generates too much volume for me to stay
            > there for now. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested
            > in the subject however.

            I think a lot of people have been hopeful the Internet would change
            the publishing world, but it still comes down to basic marketing. If
            you can get a publishing company to push your book for you, that is
            still the way to go.

            'Nuff said.

            Good luck.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 2, 2004
              << There is a discussion on self-publishing going on at
              http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/ right now -- knowledgeable
              people there with lots of good advice from inside the publishing
              industry. >>

              Thanks, Janet. I haven't been there for a while so this is a good reminder
              to check back more often. :-)

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...